• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pressured Into signing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iwebb

Alabama
My roommate invited me to come home with her for our thanksgiving break and I said OK , but later on I found out that I couldn't go because I'm also in the band and we had to be back at a certain time before everyone else and if we didn't come our scholarship would be revoked. I told her I wasn't able to come and her mom told her to have me sign an agreement saying I would pay it back , I felt as if I didn't have a choice so I signed it. What should I do

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Alabama
My roommate invited me to come home with her for our thanksgiving break and I said OK , but later on I found out that I couldn't go because I'm also in the band and we had to be back at a certain time before everyone else and if we didn't come our scholarship would be revoked. I told her I wasn't able to come and her mom told her to have me sign an agreement saying I would pay it back , I felt as if I didn't have a choice so I signed it. What should I do
Pay what back?
If you agreed to go and they bought tickets based upon their reliance on what you said, then you need to pay it back.

Iwebb

Pay what back?
If you agreed to go and they bought tickets based upon their reliance on what you said, then you need to pay it back.
$375
Before I found out about the band situation I wasn't told that I had to pay it back and I have no proff that the tickets were actually bought

Last edited:

justalayman

$375
Before I found out about the band situation I wasn't told that I had to pay it back and I have no proff that the tickets were actually bought
Google detrimental reliance. She depended on your statement you would go. She purchased a ticket for you. You then informed her you were not going to go so due to your actions she spent money she would not have otherwise spent.

You can demand she prove she spent the money when you get into court

justalayman

I'm curious:

Did you understand the girl was going to purchase the ticket, out of her own pocket, with no understanding you would pay her back? Is she that enamored with you?

Iwebb

I'm curious:

Did you understand the girl was going to purchase the ticket, out of her own pocket, with no understanding you would pay her back? Is she that enamored with you?
Yes she was, before I found out that I couldn't go she never said anything to me about paying her back for the ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes she was, before I found out that I couldn't go she never said anything to me about paying her back for the ticket.
But you AGREED to pay it back as evidenced by the fact that you signed a document saying you would. You could have refused.

Iwebb

But you AGREED to pay it back as evidenced by the fact that you signed a document saying you would. You could have refused.
OK so ,before I pay her I want to ask her for a receipt ,the agreement that I signed and proff that she bought the tickets, is that too much

justalayman

You can ask for anything you want to ask for. She can provide or not anything she chooses. Then it's your turn at bat.

Realistically you should demand a receipt. You know what you signed so there is no reason to even being that up b

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">