• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous landlord suing for property damage, suggestions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmgx

Hello,

I am located in California, and I was just served by my previous landlord of nearly 13 years for a claim of almost $10,000 in property damages. He is basically writing out for just about everything. Take note that in those 13 years, he never really invested much into the house, nor did he have any complaints until we were filed in these papers.

Back in December, we had a Section 8 inspection that passed with flying colors, except for the rug that needed to be changed (was 6+ years old) as well as a kitchen flooring which had never been replaced in those 13 years. The homeowner (which owns many properties) did not want to, so he asked us for the house. We attempted to negotiate by offering to split the bill, but he refused. A couple of weeks later, we found a new place and set our deposit. Two or three days after that, we received a call that he wanted to speak with us. He suddenly had a change of heart (I am assuming because of the cost of renovating the whole house for new tenants...), but we declined as we had already set a deposit.

Take note that he had previously inspected the house a couple of days prior to all of this happening, with no complaints whatsoever. Now, we are served with a Small Claims Court appearance as he is suing for almost $10,000. We have been told that it is unlikely for a judge to consider his claims, as houses do break down over years. In truth, the house is not really damaged other than the floor he did not want to replace (which Section 8 told him to replace in the first place), but he wants everything from doors, to kitchen panels and just about everything set new.

Any tips or advice out there will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Gail in Georgia

"Any tips or advice out there will be greatly appreciated!"

1. Show up in court. (You'd be amazed at how many folks don't do this).

2. Bring any pictures of the condition of the rental unit at move out to disprove any claims that the landlord will make for damages above normal wear and tear.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">