• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private car seller lied about car history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sab1996

i bought a used car from a guy on craigslist. the carfax are clear, i have texts between me and the seller asking if the car has ever been in an accident and he said no. My car paint started bubbling this past week (20 days after purchase) i took it to a body shop and they told me my entire car has been repainted and whoever did it took the factory stickers and stuck them back on to make it look like it hasn't. The body shop also told me my driver door and windshield has been replaced (factory parts) but not in any records. I have already invested 700$ in this car more than what i paid for it and want the private seller to pay for the damages.. what can i do? (california)

adjusterjack

What can you do?

You can sue in small claims court.

But here's the problem: The accident is not on the Carfax, your body shop cannot tell you the date of the accident, you cannot prove that the accident occurred during the seller's ownership or that he had knowledge of the accident, the paint wasn't bubbling until AFTER you bought the car so you won't be able to prove that the seller knew anything was wrong.

All of the things that the body shop person discovered after you bought the car could just as easily have been discovered before you bought the car had you had it inspected before buying.

So, yes, you can sue in small claims court, but chances of winning are slim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">