• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Seward

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma, other party is in Texas.

Several months ago, my husband agreed to loan around $430 to a "friend" whose power was about to be shut off. We have proof of the loan, and proof that she promised the money would be paid back in full by a specific date. In the time since, she ended up staying with us for an extended period of time (for reasons we now feel she lied about). The total she owes us is now well over $700, not including the cost of taking care of her and her son (whom we later learned is NOT allowed to leave Texas with her) - this is all money she promised to pay back, a fact of which we have extensive documentation. She refuses to pay a cent. She has threatened to have my husband, a British national, deported without cause. (I believe this is a felony in itself.) We have remained in contact with her (edit: on this issue) despite her abusive and derogatory behaviour.

How strong is our case, and what are our chances of finding a lawyer who will work pro bono or for a reduced fee? We have concrete proof that she was here, that she promised all money would be reimbursed, and that she has resorted to threats and insults as her primary tactic. This issue started November, 2002, and was to resolved by the end of that month. The "collateral" she left is worth perhaps $50 at most, and includes a ferret for which she refuses to provide support. (To note, I knew nothing of the situation until the money had been promised.)

Thank you!

HomeGuru

Seward said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma, other party is in Texas.

Several months ago, my husband agreed to loan around $430 to a "friend" whose power was about to be shut off. We have proof of the loan, and proof that she promised the money would be paid back in full by a specific date. In the time since, she ended up staying with us for an extended period of time (for reasons we now feel she lied about). The total she owes us is now well over $700, not including the cost of taking care of her and her son (whom we later learned is NOT allowed to leave Texas with her) - this is all money she promised to pay back, a fact of which we have extensive documentation. She refuses to pay a cent. She has threatened to have my husband, a British national, deported without cause. (I believe this is a felony in itself.) We have remained in contact with her (edit: on this issue) despite her abusive and derogatory behaviour.

How strong is our case, and what are our chances of finding a lawyer who will work pro bono or for a reduced fee? We have concrete proof that she was here, that she promised all money would be reimbursed, and that she has resorted to threats and insults as her primary tactic. This issue started November, 2002, and was to resolved by the end of that month. The "collateral" she left is worth perhaps $50 at most, and includes a ferret for which she refuses to provide support. (To note, I knew nothing of the situation until the money had been promised.)

Thank you!

**A: your case is simply not worth anything to an attorney.

S

Seward

stephenk said:
sue her in small claims court for the money.
That's what I'm considering. However, she's such a bloody-minded little thing that she won't take me seriously. My primary interest in an attorney would be to have a letter sent stating that the case is viable and that the evidence is weighted against her. I don't want to go to court if I don't have to; it's a hassle and it's expensive. If a letter can prompt her to listen to reason - because if I sue it will be for everything she owes us rather than the majority - then it will be more than worth the effort to get it.

How likely is an attorney to write a letter if he/she hasn't actually taken the case, and what's the usual cost? I wouldn't be concerned about cost, but the $700 or so (more like $1200 in absolute total) is just enough to have caused some issues.

HomeGuru

If all you want is a heavy demand letter from an attorney, you may be able to find someone to do it for you for around $300-500. Look for solo practitioners rather than attorney's that work for large law firms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">