• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Party Car Sale Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trolamc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California:
I purchased a car and signed an as is hand written agreement. The seller advertised the car as 60k miles and clean title.

I have a copy of the advertisement stating the mileage and using "clean title" verbiage.

I missed the language on the title that states "odometer reading not actual miles". The type font and size of the warning is the same as the rest of the title document and not singled out in the red box like a "salvage" designation is.

The mileage is unknown and the title is not clean - the seller advertised it as stated 60,000 miles clean title and did not tell me the title was marred.

The value I paid was based on the representation of the advertisement - actual value from carfax is $2690 less based on the title odometer statement.

Can I sue for the monetary difference? My future sales price will be damaged by the odometer not being true.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do you mean by "marred" with reference to the title? "Clean title" means the vehicle is not a salvage vehicle.

trolamc

What do you mean by "marred" with reference to the title? "Clean title" means the vehicle is not a salvage vehicle.
The title states Miles not actual - there is a defect stated on the title that decreases the value of the vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The title states Miles not actual - there is a defect stated on the title that decreases the value of the vehicle.
That is NOT a defect on the title. It doesn't necessarily decrease the value of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">