• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prize won, contract not upheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dxt178

What is the name of your state? PA

In July of last year I attended a concert where I won a grand prize drawing from a radio station to New York. The trip was for four people for 3 days and 2 nights, including transportation (via train), 4 "New York Passes" for attractions, and breakfasts.

What I received was a huge runaround that resulted in 3 days and 2 nights for only 2 people, no transportation (so I had to drive my vehicle 500+ miles), no breakfasts, and only 2 New York Passes.

My out of pocket expenses were close to $400 for the trip alone which was supposed to be covered. Not accounting for the undelivered portions of the prize, which totals close to $1000 in all.

I have the initial prize sheet from the night I won, which is signed by the station manager detailing the trip as I have described. I also saved receipts and paid with credit card to have proof of my expenses.

They are now stating they will only reimburse me for a few select things (around $200) and nothing else. I believe I have an airtight case against them and am looking to pursue this in small claims court in Pennsylvania (both myself and the radio station are here in PA and the contest was in PA as well). Should I pursue this legally? I am not sure how prize winnings are handled legally. Should I also include my vehicle's milage in the costs and if so at what rate? Is there anything else I should include or remove, or any other advice anyone can offer?

Thank You!
- Dominic

dxt178

Can anyone assist me, or if this is the wrong forum on here, direct me to the proper one? This is slightly time sensitive and while I understand this is a free service I would have hoped to receive something by now in response... even if it was just a "wrong forum you should have posted in XX!"

Thanks,
Dominic

moburkes

Just curious. Why did you GO on the trip and then come back expecting to be reimbursed? If they weren't above board in the first place, what made you think they would reimburse you so easily after the fact?

dxt178

Moburkes, it isn't that simple. See the radio station was who I won the prize from and made the claims I stated, however they then purchase these trips from a travel agent. You have to fill out the form at least 60 days in advance for the travel agent and then they send you the final paperwork/tickets 7 days before the departure. I had no way of knowing what I would get with less than a week until I left was going to be less than half of what was promised. Then at that point I did everything in my power to contact the radio station to make the appropriate changes with the agent, but it was too late.

I already had the time scheduled off work and there was no reason not to go, I wasn't "expecting" anything. What is in question is what is owed. The prize is clearly stated and signed, they did not deliver. I am only looking to be reimbursed for my out of pocket expenses related to having to drive my own vehicle, the rest is what is owed to me based on the signed contract. They have to be responsible as there is no question in the matter, they have even admitted it in an email which I have saved. However, now, they only want to selectively reimburse for a few minor things and think I will just accept it without a fight. Which is why I am looking here for some advice, not to explain myself or my actions... all I did was be excited to win a trip and get shafted in the end and been given a huge runaround.

I am not a litigous person at all, I have been severely shorted, put out, and there is proper documentation backing up my claim... why would I not pursue this?

If someone could even direct me to some case law or documentation on law concerning prize winnings, I will be happy to do my own research.. I minored in business law and I'm sure I could handle most of this.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">