• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problem with a contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smarteee2002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
Hi. I had a house fire and a contractor installed a window, but there are air leaks in it, and it's not sealed correctly. I live about 100 miles from his business. I was wondering if I go to small claims court, would it be in the county where the work was(my house), or where the business is that did the work.
Also, I was wondering what exactly I should be going after. I just want the window fixed, but the company does not work well with me. I wonder if I could get estimates from another company and take those to court?
Thank you for any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
Hi. I had a house fire and a contractor installed a window, but there are air leaks in it, and it's not sealed correctly. I live about 100 miles from his business. I was wondering if I go to small claims court, would it be in the county where the work was(my house), or where the business is that did the work.
Also, I was wondering what exactly I should be going after. I just want the window fixed, but the company does not work well with me. I wonder if I could get estimates from another company and take those to court?
Thank you for any help.
You need to give them the opportunity to fix the problem.
You can sue in either area...

OHRoadwarrior

If the leaks are around the outside of the window, under the window trim, it might be easier to remove the trim and insulate yourself. Doing so will require refinishing/replacing the nailed outer trim though. If the leaks are within the window framing you are stuck. Note... Attempting to fix yourself and failing will invalidate any responsibility for the contractors work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">