• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problem with a local plumber

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ntgino

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I had a plumber come out to my house a few weeks ago to snake my lines. All the drains in my house were clogged and to fix this plumbers run a metal "snake" into your lines to clear out any obstruction. The obstructions are normally caused be tree roots...

Anyway, they sent out someone to do this and they were unable to clear the line. The person told me they were having trouble running the line by themselves and that they would be back with more help later that night. I did not pay him anything and he did not ask for payment.

No one showed up that night. I called the next day to find out what was going on and the owner told me that the plumber reported to her that there was mud and roots in my line and that no one would be coming out to my house to fix the problem because my sewer line needed replacing. Then she charged me $150 for 1.5 hours of labor.

I then called another company to snake my lines and they fixed my problem by doing the same exact thing the first company tried to do (they had 3 men at my house for 45 minutes... they also only charged me $90). I have not had any problems whatsoever with my plumbing since then.

I contacted the first plumber and told her I thought the fee of $150 dollars was unfair... she told me she would take me to court... after a few letters back and forth from each other, I now have the bill down to $100 and I still find this unfair. I know $100 is not a lot of money to some people, but I am a college student.

I was just wondering if anyone would give me some advice on if I should just pay the $100 and avoid being taken to court or if I should fight this...

EDIT: Also, they are saying via letters that I will have to pay court costs ($50) and server fees ($40) ? I have found out what court costs are, but what are server fees and is this correct?

Last edited:

dcatz

Server fees are the expenses for a process server to deliver court process (in this case, the claim). Like court costs, they are recoverable, if the plaintiff prevails. On the facts posted, it is likely that it will.

moburkes is correct about the bill, and you may have to go to court to find that out and also have a judgment for twice the amount in contention.

Primarily, you don't need a judgment on your credit report (and it will go there automatically and stay after it's paid). In the long run, that may cost more than the bill or the judgment in increased credit expenses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, one other thing to keep in mind is that they won't be suing for $100 + costs. They will be suing for $150 + costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">