• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with post office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ardakkumerian

What is the name of your state?I Am in Southern Ohio.

I Ordered an Expensive (408$) product thrue the mail. The postman left a delivery notice. but never even tried to deliver the package.

A Clerk at the post office gave it to some guy over the counter. She never asked for the delivery slip, or any form of ID. She just handed it over.

The next day I showed up with my claim slip to get my package. And they told me it had been claimed already.

The postmaster admitted that he spoke to the clerk who gave it away, but refused to give up her name. He told me that since there was no shipping insurance on the package, that they don't have to ask for any ID or signature. so therefore they don't.

Basically this means that the post office says it can hand your mail to anyone they want to. They don't even have to make sure they give it to the right person. they don't even have to DELIVER IT! . And they say they cant be held accountable for there mistakes, unless its insured.

I filed a mail theft report with the post office and the local PD. But I haven't heard anything yet, and its been 3 weeks.

I Talked to the post master yesterday and he now denies he ever knew witch clerk handed it over to begin with!

Also,, Now they Card Everyone, and everyone gets checked for a delivery slip. Why would they do this if they don't have to, and why couldn't they have done it for me to begin with?

As I See it, The post office is responsible for getting mail
To the correct recipient. And they are responsible for that mail until its properly delivered.

They didn't loose the package in transit. It didn't just "disappear" in the system. That clerk gave it to the wrong person. and the post master is now lying to protect her.

I want my 408$ back. I am thinking of suing the post master for negligence in small claims court. on the grounds that he was negligent in Enforcing any kind of Security for his patrons. and that since he is the "post master", he is ultimately responsible for the mistakes of his employees.

Am I Doing the right thing?

Any advice on how I should go about this?

PS. There are no Security cameras whatsoever in this post office. and whoever claimed the package has never tried to return it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">