• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with a car repair center

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freakshow54

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I will try to make this as brief as possible, and note that I don't have estimates or invoices in front of me so dates are as close as I can possibly get from memory.

My car had been sputtering for a bit, and I decided to go in for a tuneup at at major car repair chain (approximately May 17th). They ended up replacing several things, including spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor button. They told me my car needed platinum plugs, and gave me two estimates accordingly. I told them to put in what my car needed. They told me if I had any further problems, they didn't have the diagnostic tools they would need to diagnose the problem. This visit cost me $249.89
The next morning, my car stalled. As a result of their comment about diagnostic tools, I brought my car to the place it was purchased, a large chain of new & used car dealerships. They told me that the problem was a result of the spark plugs not being platinum. This bill was for $215.05
I called the repair center the same day to let them know that I would be coming by, and what the issue was. I was unable to make it to the center for approximately a week. When I went, they refused to cover anything except the parts and labor for the spark plugs. This was a refund for $59.94

Fast forward to last Friday, June 2nd. I was on my way to Ohio, when my car stalled on the highway. The engine wouldn't turn over. I ended up getting a tow to a dealership of my car's make in the town I was driving to, approximately 170 miles away. This was approximately $135 after a AAA discount.
After they looked at it today, the dealership called me to let me know that at this point, they suggest replacing the motor with a used motor. They estimate $2711.93 for parts and labor on that. They also said I owe them $125.13 for work that had already been done. They told me that the distributor cap had been blown out because the rotor button was installed improperly. They also told me that this blowout would possibly cause my car to stall, and could very likely cause the car not to start. I won't know until tomorrow (when the technician is there) what further damage could have been caused as a result.
I called the customer service line for the repair shop I went to in the first place, and filed a complaint, as they told me that each center handles any claims themselves. I then notified that original shop that I had filed a complaint and that I am waiting to have invoices and estimates in hand before further action.

Now, getting to my question.
What is the best way to handle this at this point? I would prefer to keep this out of court, but I want to handle it in a way that won't damage my chances in small claims court if necessary.
A more specific question; If I were to go into the center to discuss what they are willing to do about this, and I accept a refund for any of it, does that negate any claims I might have for taking them to court?
And lastly, if this can't be resolved out of court, is it worth my while to persue small claims action?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From what you posted, you don't have much to stand on.

*IF* the rotor wasn't installed correctly, it wouldn't destroy your engine. And, of course the motor won't start without a distributor cap. But, it would turn over. Even if all the plugs had foulded up and stopped working at the same time (an almost impossible coincidence), your motor would still turn over.

Your vehicle had major problems when it went in. It doesn't sound like it's the repair center's fault.

freakshow54

Clarification

I'm told that the rotor button would no longer rotate.
Also I should clear up that I don't necessarily think that all of what I was charged over this period will be covered by this repair center. But I do want what they are responsible for covered.
Also, my car had only started to show problems for the first time in it's lifetime. I brought it in very shortly after those problems started for a tuneup, as it seemed that would fix the minor problems that I was having.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The plastic got stripped on the inside of the rotor. The engine would spin the distributor shaft around and no spark would occur. This would lead to a no-start condition, but NOT a problem with the motor turning over. If your motor is seized, then it was not caused by the rotor being installed incorrectly.

A broken timing belt/chain, on the other hand, could cause much more severe problems...but this wouldn't be caused by the repair center - it would be caused by age/mileage.

freakshow54

Again, I am trying to get what they are at fault for taken care of. They are definitely responsible for, at the very least, the distributor cap, and rotor button.

freakshow54

My questions still haven't been answered. I understand that I likely won't get all of the money for the repairs.
If I accept any form of reimbursement, does that negate any further claims in court?
How do I need to handle this so that I can still take them to court if necessary?
If I were to sue, what would I be able to get back? I should at the very least get reimbursed for the bill that included their install of the distributor cap and rotor button. I believe I should also get reimbursed for the tow, as the damage caused by improper rotor button installation DID cause the car not to start (this is information from the dealership, they only replaced the damaged distributor cap and rotor button, and it now runs).

Please give me information that will steer me in the right direction.

justalayman

You have a real problem in that while you want to make a claim against the first repair shop, are you 100% positive the second shop did not remove the dist. cap and inspect the rotor? If so, how are you going to prove who installed the rotor incorrectly???

Now you have a 3rd shop involved that is telling you a big story ( at least how you relate it)(btw, the 2nd shop gave you a story as well about the plugs causing the stalling. platinum or not is not going to cause a stall probelm in the time period you are dealing with)

So to the 3rd shop telling you that the dist cap "blew out" . What the hell is that supposed to mean?? dist caps don't have "blow outs"

Now not to start an arguement but if they did get the rotor installed incorrectly, it could possibly in a worse case scenario cause engine damage. The problem is though that this would be as soon as the parts are installed and the engine started so you would not have been able to drive anywhere.

So if you can get passed the part of who installed what incorrectly, sue the bad installer for all your expenses directly related to the bad work. Let the judge decide what you are going to actually get.
If you take any settlement before, you will be jeopardizing any additional claim.

freakshow54

I don't know what the agreement says offhand, that invoice is in the car, which is 6 hours away right now.
The second shop ran diagnostics on the car and it brought up that the spark plugs were wrong. They changed them, and everything was fine. From what I understand, my car requires the platinum plugs, because they burn hotter, and does not run properly with regular plugs. I would prove who installed the rotor incorrectly with the invoices from the first two shops describing what was done.
I was told there is a large hole in the distributor cap. I am going to have that in my hands as well this weekend. They told me that if I brought it in to the shop that I had them put in at, they would know exactly what happened. I used the term "blow out", because that is the way I understood it.

Thank you for your help.

freakshow54

I had heard that from the dealer. The first shop I went to read out of a reference book they had that my car not only required platinum plugs, but laser cut platinum plugs.

I would look in my manual, but it is with my car, in Ohio.

BL

Ask the fine Folks at Batauto.com what kind of damage IF any caused your problem . Keep it brief and to the Point . Read a few post first to get the feel of the way the site works .

Personally , I can't even imagine an Auto starting with a rotor installed incorrectly .

I have has distributors themselves gone bad , cracking caps .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">