• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Process on collecting my judgement questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwiksilvertrav

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

First off I'll link my original thread where this case started.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/libel-slander-defamation-88/business-threatening-sue-defamation-because-negative-online-review-563478.html

So I've won a judgement against a tow company that caused damage to the rear bumper of my car. The judgement was stamped 11-8-11. I have yet to recieve payment or hear anything from the business and he has 4 more days and doubt to see anything.
I plan on sending him a letter just asking for the payment and my plans to pursue collecting the judgment if I do not get a check within a mentioned period of time upon recieving my letter...say 7 days.
My question is regarding the fees I'm going to incur. First regarding the certified letter I'm going to send asking for payment. It's 5.00...I know I'm being picky but hey. Can I add this to the amount I'm asking for in my letter to him?
Also I thought of stating in the letter my intent to repost my online reviews if I do not recieve payment...but this might sound like a threat. I think I might just not mention it and go ahead and do it later anyhow (read previous thread on background about this subject).

Then if I still do not get anything, I think I need to pay for the transcpript to district court which is 40.00, then file a Affidavit of Identification with it (which I believe is free). Then I will have to submit a Request for Order for Disclosure for him to fill out so I can get information on his assets which is 5.00. Then once I have all this information I can file my Writ of Execution with the Sherriff which is another 50.00 with a total of 95.00 in fees. Also...do I have this process listed out correctly? lol

Will these fees be added to the judgement by the court (don't know if they officially keep track of these fees and ammend it to the judgement in the writ of execution?). I'm hoping the court gives me a writ of execution with all these fees I've paid added on to the amount owed. If so I'll mention this in my letter.
On the bright side this is a business...and I imagine it's far easier to collect on a business compared to a private party. I hope I'm correct in thinking that.

But in the end I find it stupid if I have to pay these fees and not get reimbursed later for them as it's just eating into my judgement amount to collect it...

quincy

I wandered down from the defamation section of the forum, qwiksilvertrav, because the following site appears to answer all of the questions you are asking (scroll down to "How do you collect a Conciliation Court judgment?"):

http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=1688

From FAQs on Conciliation Court: "As you try to collect the judgment, you may have out of pocket expenses for filing fees, transcription costs and other costs, which can be added to the amount you can collect."

If the tow guy is not appealing the action (and you will know that soon), then you can begin enforcement of the judgment through garnishments and liens.

While I suggest you take time to review the information provided on the link above, you may also want to check back here to see if the forum collections experts have any additional advice for you.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

qwiksilvertrav

I wandered down from the defamation section of the forum, qwiksilvertrav, because the following site appears to answer all of the questions you are asking (scroll down to "How do you collect a Conciliation Court judgment?"):

http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=1688

From FAQs on Conciliation Court: "As you try to collect the judgment, you may have out of pocket expenses for filing fees, transcription costs and other costs, which can be added to the amount you can collect."

If the tow guy is not appealing the action (and you will know that soon), then you can begin enforcement of the judgment through garnishments and liens.

While I suggest you take time to review the information provided on the link above, you may also want to check back here to see if the forum collections experts have any additional advice for you.

Good luck. :)
Thanks Quincy and I have read through that entire site which is where I got my plan listed above.
My specific question is I was wondering if the court adds on these fees to the judgement for me? I suppose I can find out upon initiating the process which will be in two days.
Also can I add on the fee for mailing him a letter? I suppose I could bring in the reciept or mail it with my initial forms. I plan on sending a letter before initiating this process. I'll also mention I will file another complaint to the BBB (who still has not responded to my about reopening the original complaint!) and post my reviews of my experience with his business online.
But I'm also not sure if I should mention the intent to repost these reviews? Still worried about the defamation thing but I suppose a clean review stating the facts backed with a judgement is pretty difficult to win a case against.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">