• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promise to Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yarms24

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My exgirlfriend used to live with me. While living with me i paid everythign, and she jsut gave me cash. Most of the time, she didnt have enough, so we started an ongoing tab. When she moved out, i totaled the tab up and, using online forms, drafted up a professional promise to pay. She agreed to pay and signed the promise to pay. I didnt have a witness present and didnt think about getting this notarized. Is it necessary to get it notarized to become a substantial piece of evidence? i have witnesses that can testify her owing me, proof through emails exchanged with her admitting to understanding she owes it, wanting to pay it, and many emails of "ill be sending a payment out tomrorow".... but never receiving payment. my concern is that if i take this to court will they see it as a binding contract even though it was never notarized. please help

ForFun

The only thing notarizing does is gives you a witness that the person who signed the document really is who she says she is. Unless your ex is going to claim that you forged her signature, it's a non-issue.

Even if she did make such a claim, it doesn't sound like she'd be very successful, given the other evidence that you have which proves that she owes you money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">