• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promissory note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lseltz

What is the name of your state? Florida

My dad (a CPA) passed away two weeks ago and yesterday we received a letter from someone that he had accepted a loan from, and signed a promissory note, a couple of years ago. My mother and I had no knowledge of this debt.

My dad had no assets in his name when he passed away. He and my mother live in a modest manufactured home, which is in my mother's name, and he left his practice to me (I am also an accountant), which also has no assets: no a/r, no equipment, no furniture, no nothing.

The only thing that was left to my mother was the proceeds of his life insurance policy which as I understand it is not part of his estate.

This promissory note states that it binds him and his heirs to repay this note. Is this legal to bind us to pay this note when we received no assets with which to pay it.

Please help me to know if this person has any legal standing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">