• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DrBrad

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Several days ago I purchased a large number of items at a retail store. The store employee loaded all of the merchandise into my car for me. Once home I realized that a lamp ($100.00) was the wrong color. Several days later I returned to the store with the lamp and the receipt to exchange it. The store manager noted that the lamp was not listed on the receipt and concluded that the sales person forgot to charge me for the lamp. He took the lamp from me and refused to return it. He said that if I wanted the lamp back that I would have to produce a receipt proving that I paid for it.
Was the lamp mine and did he have a right to take it from me? Is this matter worth pursuing in court?
Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DrBrad said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland
Several days ago I purchased a large number of items at a retail store. The store employee loaded all of the merchandise into my car for me. Once home I realized that a lamp ($100.00) was the wrong color. Several days later I returned to the store with the lamp and the receipt to exchange it. The store manager noted that the lamp was not listed on the receipt and concluded that the sales person forgot to charge me for the lamp. He took the lamp from me and refused to return it. He said that if I wanted the lamp back that I would have to produce a receipt proving that I paid for it.
Was the lamp mine and did he have a right to take it from me? Is this matter worth pursuing in court?
Thank you.

My response:

Absolutely it's worth pursuing. Your grounds would be that "possession is 9/10ths of the law." Make sure you impress that point on the judge.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">