• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cathyhanlon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana. I closed on a home the first of Jan 2010. I took possession of the home dec 15 2009 and paid rent for the 20 days. The owner left property there and did not attend the closing. After a couple of months, some I took to the dump, some I gave to charity, and some I keep after cleaning it up. Now, almost 5 months later, the seller wants her "personal property" returned. I felt that this was an unreasonable request as I heard nothing for months and assumed that what was left after closing was mine to do with what I wanted as there was no stipulation in the buy/sell agreement stating that I would be storing items for her. Do I have to return what is left and if so, can I change storage and disposal fees?

thanks,
cathyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana. I closed on a home the first of Jan 2010. I took possession of the home dec 15 2009 and paid rent for the 20 days. The owner left property there and did not attend the closing. After a couple of months, some I took to the dump, some I gave to charity, and some I keep after cleaning it up. Now, almost 5 months later, the seller wants her "personal property" returned. I felt that this was an unreasonable request as I heard nothing for months and assumed that what was left after closing was mine to do with what I wanted as there was no stipulation in the buy/sell agreement stating that I would be storing items for her. Do I have to return what is left and if so, can I change storage and disposal fees?

thanks,
cathyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: hey cathy, did you read the abandoned property laws?

cathyhanlon

No, I did not read the abandoned property laws.....can you summarize how they apply to this situation? thanks....just trying to do the right thing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">