• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property adandoned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecapt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
A friend asked me a while ago if he could store his friends snowmobile in my garage for a bit. I said fine just not forever. Well it's been a year and half now and I have been telling him for 4 months that I want his buddy to get the snowmobile out of my garage. It still hasn't been removed and I informed him last week that if it's not removed by Saturday 12/3 that I was going to push it out onto the curb.
1) can I legally do that since I've given ample time to remove the snowmobile?
2) Can it be concidered abandoned and I keep it for myself since it's been a year and half?
3) If I putt it on the curb for anyone to take and someone does, can he sue me for anything?
4) Can I start charging him storage cost if it's not removed?
Please help.

Last edited:

Antigone*

A friend asked me a while ago if he could store his friends snowmobile in my garage for a bit. I said fine just not forever. Well it's been a year and half now and I have been telling him for 4 months that I want his buddy to get the snowmobile out of my garage. It still hasn't been removed and I informed him last week that if it's not removed by Saturday 12/3 that I was going to push it out onto the curb.
2) Can it be concidered abandoned and I keep it for myself since it's been a year and half?
3) If I putt it on the curb for anyone to take and someone does, can he sue me for anything?
Please help.

1 ~ You need to inform him via certified mail that he has X days to remove the property. One week is not ample time and telling him is not sufficient. I would say 30 days is ample time.

2 ~ It is not abandoned until the first day after you do #1

3 ~ You cannot put it out on the curb until the first day after you do #1. If you do he has a cause of action.

4 ~ You do not have a contract to charge him anything, so you cannot to that.

sandyclaus

Please help.
Your best bet is to put your plan into writing. Send the person a lettter (Certified, Return Receipt Requested), stating that the you have had the snowmobile since X date. You are demanding that the snowmobile be removed on or before Y date. If it is not removed by that date, you will (consider it abandoned property and dispose of it as you see fit OR you will charge $Z per day as storage costs until such time as the snowmobile is removed). I'd say give them somewhere from 7-10 days from the day they receive the letter to comply.

I would also suggest that if you DO choose the storage option, that you also give a second deadline after which the snowmobile is considered abandoned so that you may sell or dispose of it as you choose if it's still there, say, 6 months later. (The person will STILL owe you storage fees, even if they do not retrieve the snowmobile.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">