• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prarierose

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
Is this a small claims situation. Ex-secretary has made NUMEROUS vile calls since August, 2002 In October 2002 she backed her car into our garage door while under the influence of ETOH Cost of damages $595, our deductable $500 we filed but we paid for the damages to date she has paid $150 The harrassing calls continue.

HomeGuru

prarierose said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky
Is this a small claims situation. Ex-secretary has made NUMEROUS vile calls since August, 2002 In October 2002 she backed her car into our garage door while under the influence of ETOH Cost of damages $595, our deductable $500 we filed but we paid for the damages to date she has paid $150 The harrassing calls continue.

**A: what is your question?

S

SCin SC

she damaged your garage and she is calling you with harrassing phone calls?

Are you calling her asking for the money? Do you have these calls taped?

As far as I can tell you have a case. Do you have proof she paid you the money?

File a case, the worst thing that could happen is that you would lose. But armed with as much evidence as you can to prove that she owes the debt and that she is making the calls is almost a clear cut case.

S

suzeeh

Show damages

Do you have pictures and proof of the damges and repairs. Winning my case last week I can tell you that I went in totally prepared. I attached as exhibits A, B, and C the repair shop bill, the statute showing parents are resposible for minors till age 18, and the sales slip to the car. I also typed up a statement of facts which showed all the facts of the case with dates. I also had a list of questions I wanted to ask the defendant so that I wouldn't forget them in court. It lasted two hours and the defendant was well prepared and on point. The only problem was the judge said that his points supported my case. Don't go in thinking it's a breeze without showing proper support for your case.

As far as the phone calls, do you have a tape? I would suggest on that one filing a complaint with the local police. Do not have any contact with the person as far as you calling them.

When you go to court, make sure that small claims court is the correct place to take your case. It is as far as the amount of damages but as far as her getting punishment for harassement, that may be in another court. For instance, the defendant in my case counterclaimed saying that I gave him terroristic threats, verbal and internet harrassment. The judge threw his countersuit out stating that those were federal charges, not something handled in small claims court.

S

SCin SC

along with the taped harrassment- you may want a caller ID box that is run on batteries that shoes dates and times to further prove that the person is calling YOU instead of vice versa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">