• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mstake1116

My ex-boyfriend (boyfriend at the time) needed help to care for his dog while he was away for work for 2 months. I told him that if he really couldn't find someone else to help, that I'd help him. I thought that he found help until he called me at 3am before his flight to bring his dog and all of his studio equipment to my apartment. We broke up a few weeks into his trip. I told him that I didn't think it was fair to me to have to continue to keep his stuff and his dog (which is a pittbull) for the entire time and I would appreciate it if he'd find someone else to help him b/c he has lots of friends. I said I'd even just bring his stuff back to his house b/c I had the key to his house and his car. Finally after 2 weeks of asking him, he gave me his fathers phone number and said to contact him. I did and he said he'd help but that i should put the dog in a kennel. When I told my ex what was going to happen, he told me that i should just let the dog loose instead. And since he refused to send me the money he promised to send for any additional dog food that I would need, I didn't know if he was serious or not. Of course, I didn't set the dog loose, but unfortunately, the conversation got a little more heated and I told him that I did put the dog outside along with his studio equipment.
And he basically threatened to show me what he and music friends would do to me b/c he thought I put the equipment outside. His dad never contacted me again. But I did assure my ex the next day that I did not put the equipment outside. He said he would send people to get the equipment and the dog. But since I don't know his music friends, I just brought his equipment back to his house. I let him know when I left it and where I left the keys so his friends could find them. I told him that I'd put the dog in a kennel and he or whomever could pick up the dog after that. But then he started saying that his cousin went and got his equipment and that it was damaged and he's going to press charges against me and/or sue me b/c nothing is turning on. I insisted that nothing should be wrong with the equipment and to ask his cousin to try again. He then told me that he's sending people to get the dog and I better give them the dog. And now he's threatening to press charges/sue me if i don't buy him brand new equipment. He claims that he sent me pictures of the broken equipment, but i haven't received any. And when I suggested that if something really was wrong that he should see if it can be fixed, he refused. Is he able to press charges against me or sue me b/c of this, my friends are telling me that the equipment may not have worked to begin with and I've never had to deal with anything like this before.

W

Willlyjo

My ex-boyfriend (boyfriend at the time) needed help to care for his dog while he was away for work for 2 months. I told him that if he really couldn't find someone else to help, that I'd help him. I thought that he found help until he called me at 3am before his flight to bring his dog and all of his studio equipment to my apartment. We broke up a few weeks into his trip. I told him that I didn't think it was fair to me to have to continue to keep his stuff and his dog (which is a pittbull) for the entire time and I would appreciate it if he'd find someone else to help him b/c he has lots of friends. I said I'd even just bring his stuff back to his house b/c I had the key to his house and his car. Finally after 2 weeks of asking him, he gave me his fathers phone number and said to contact him. I did and he said he'd help but that i should put the dog in a kennel. When I told my ex what was going to happen, he told me that i should just let the dog loose instead. And since he refused to send me the money he promised to send for any additional dog food that I would need, I didn't know if he was serious or not. Of course, I didn't set the dog loose, but unfortunately, the conversation got a little more heated and I told him that I did put the dog outside along with his studio equipment.
And he basically threatened to show me what he and music friends would do to me b/c he thought I put the equipment outside. His dad never contacted me again. But I did assure my ex the next day that I did not put the equipment outside. He said he would send people to get the equipment and the dog. But since I don't know his music friends, I just brought his equipment back to his house. I let him know when I left it and where I left the keys so his friends could find them. I told him that I'd put the dog in a kennel and he or whomever could pick up the dog after that. But then he started saying that his cousin went and got his equipment and that it was damaged and he's going to press charges against me and/or sue me b/c nothing is turning on. I insisted that nothing should be wrong with the equipment and to ask his cousin to try again. He then told me that he's sending people to get the dog and I better give them the dog. And now he's threatening to press charges/sue me if i don't buy him brand new equipment. He claims that he sent me pictures of the broken equipment, but i haven't received any. And when I suggested that if something really was wrong that he should see if it can be fixed, he refused. Is he able to press charges against me or sue me b/c of this, my friends are telling me that the equipment may not have worked to begin with and I've never had to deal with anything like this before.
Let your ex boyfriend sue you. Until then, don't worry about it. You really had no choice to do what you did. If that results in your ex following through on his threats, he may find himself in trouble. Anybody can sue anybody for anything but in this case, I believe your ex wouldn't have much of a chance to prevail. Relax and wait until you get served with litigation papers (which I really believe aint gonna happen).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">