• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage to driveway from town dumptruck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timbo67

Connecticut,

While repairing the road across the street from me, a town truck drove 20' up my driveway (back and forth 7x) in a 15 minute time frame. I wasn't home, however my security camera recorded the event. The damage only shows on video when my driveway is wet and puddles. I had no video prior that shows the driveway beforehand (when wet from rain) showing no damage.

The town denied responsibility and I went to small claims court and the ruling favored me but only awarded $1,000 of the $2,500 quote I received from the paving company. The judge had stated in the notes section on the ruling that I "did not prove causation", however he awarded me the $1,000 for trespassing. I'm guessing the judge is saying since I didn't have proof that there was no damage prior to the truck entering my driveway.

Can I legally the driver of the truck and/or the supervisor personally for this? Essentially, small claims lawsuit all over again but instead of the town, I would be suing the individual(s) to recoup the balance of what it would take to fix my driveway. Thanks in Advance...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Connecticut,

While repairing the road across the street from me, a town truck drove 20' up my driveway (back and forth 7x) in a 15 minute time frame. I wasn't home, however my security camera recorded the event. The damage only shows on video when my driveway is wet and puddles. I had no video prior that shows the driveway beforehand (when wet from rain) showing no damage.

The town denied responsibility and I went to small claims court and the ruling favored me but only awarded $1,000 of the $2,500 quote I received from the paving company. The judge had stated in the notes section on the ruling that I "did not prove causation", however he awarded me the $1,000 for trespassing. I'm guessing the judge is saying since I didn't have proof that there was no damage prior to the truck entering my driveway.

Can I legally the driver of the truck and/or the supervisor personally for this? Essentially, small claims lawsuit all over again but instead of the town, I would be suing the individual(s) to recoup the balance of what it would take to fix my driveway. Thanks in Advance...
No, you don't get to keep suing.

Esto Perpetua

OP, if you couldn't prove causation the first time against the city, what makes you think you'll be able to prove it the second time, against the private entities?

Bottom line: you have no proof they damaged your driveway; therefore, they have no obligation to fix your driveway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">