• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property damage by neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hoopsie

Hello
I live on Long Island, New York and came home one evening to find someone had cut about 15 limbs off one of the trees on my property. I called the police and made a report. Apparently, the neighbor behind us hired someone to trim branches that hung over a fence on his property. I understand that legally one can trim branches which are on ones property, however this is not the case. Entire limbs were taken off this tree, lmbs which begin at least 5 feet on our property and limbs that were clearly only on our side of the fence. In addition this tree trimmer climbed the fence and was on our property( a neighbor saw him and info was given to police) and ruined my garden. Can we sue the neighbor to pay for new trees to regain some of the privacy we had or for tresspassing or both or for anything? By the way I am trying to change the smile face icon cause I'm mad not happy!

[Edited by hoopsie on 07-28-2001 at 10:22 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">