• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damaged by roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwgreen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): Minnesota

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with three roommates, but am on a single room lease. In the common area of the apartment I provided a home theatre system. Frequently, my roommates played music loud enough to the point where I was worried about equipment damage. I told them not to use it that loud, but they frequently ignored that. One speaker no longer functions due to damaged electronics and the receiver sounds distorted and there is obvious heat damage visible inside the receiver. They do not want to pay for repairs/replacement. Do I have any legal avenues of making them pay for part/all of the damages, since they were not caused by me, and I had told them not to use the equipment that loud?

ZeroHostile01

Probably Nothing You Can Do

I am not a lawyer, though I would imagine if you attempted to take them to court over it you would just waste your money in legal fees to be sadly disappointed, as you would need to prove they damaged not you. Would be your word against theirs. My advice, for what it's worth, repair or replace it and keep it in your room, let them break their own stuff next time.

Banned_Princess

There will be no harm if you sue your roommates over this. Probably your roommates will be unhappy and make your homelife completely miserable till the end of your lease, so keep that in mind before filing the suit.

(not saying for sure you will win, but I seriously disagree severely with the above poster)

remember -depreciated value, and pictures of the damage-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">