• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Management Suing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

is55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? A: Indiana

First off auto saved function works great!:mad: Spent over an hour writing this, site auto logged off still saying auto save, and saved one sentence. I hate when this happens on forums! Anyway I'll try to re-write my hopeless case. I am sure it’s going to have grammar errors and jump around now so please give me a break. Might have an aggravated tone so I apologize in advance.

I am to appear in court for examination under oath and I am trying to determine if I have a case or not. What I should do etc. Very tired now... :(

It is a long story and I don't have a lot of evidence which is not a very good start. I leased a four bedroom apartment last minute that was cheap and close to campus. At the time the place was empty and I had to put all the utilities in my name and stock the place. The manager assured me that if I was uncomfortable with a potential lessee then he would not rent to them. Everything was great for the first few weeks. Then, things took a turn for the worse.

The first problem wasn't a big deal but was irritating none the less. The people on the first floor on my side, me being on the second, had strange parties all the time attended by a large number strange people. These were adults too not college kids. These parties were loud and went on through the night till morning. This did not bother me much but it was hard to sleep from time to time. Puke and trash were always at the bottom of the stairs. Never cleaned up while I was there. The smell was putrid. The main issue came namely from the people on the third floor. They accused me along with the people underneath of being a disturbance. They complained to me quite often about this even though I had nothing to do with it. Maybe it was because I was closer to them idk. I explained this to them but they didn't believe me. They even reported me at one point.

The next issue that arose was the drug dealers across the hall. There were all kinds of crazies coming in and out of that place constantly, consistently. It smelled like a skunk died on that floor. This guy also had his deaf mother staying with him. I want to be clear that I have nothing against the handicapped but this lady had issues. She'd be in the hall way all the time, on my side, sitting in a lawn chair, blocking the stairs. She did this to utilize the hallway outlet. You can imagine me trying to communicate to this lady that I needed through. I don't know any sign language. Looking back I should have learned some. Anyway, she was completely oblivious. I tried to talk to her son(the drug dealer) about it and he basically told me to piss off. I had to carry my bike the long way every time I needed to get somewhere. I kept it in my room due to the numerous people I knew that had gotten their bikes stolen. One time I had my bike chained up and someone stole the two dollar bell off of it, it had safety screws, seriously. It gets better. The lady had a deaf boyfriend. They would always get into arguments with each other. Who cares you say, you can't even hear them you say? Well, they had these disagreements right outside their door. My door was directly across from theirs. If I had to go anywhere during one of their frequent spats, I had to squeeze by hoping not to get caught in the crossfire of their flailing arms(not a fist fight just violent gesturing). I couldn't even get them to acknowledge me. To top it all off the second floor always smelled like cigarettes and pot. That's where they all liked to smoke and when they did I could smell it all the way in my room. At this point I should have reported this place but I don't like to throw people under the buss, especially those with disabilities.

The saga goes on. One night, around 4a.m., I awoke to a loud thumping noise. I didn't know what to think. I went to my door to investigate. Looking through the peep hole I see a drunkard slamming his foot into my door and wall. Thinking this guy was plastered and lost I quickly crack the door and told him to stop immediately so we could talk. He slams himself into my door trying to get in. Luckily, I am fairly strong compared to the average person. During all this he is yelling at me trying to find out where some guy is who I don't even know. I told him to back off or I would call the cops. He stumbled out the place and face planted the ground. After I saw there was a hole in the wall I called the police. I also feared he might return with a weapon. There should be a report. Of course the ladies above came down that morning to give me an earful about how horrible I am explaining that they are good students trying to get good grades. Really needed to hear that. The hole was not repaired during occupancy.

The last straw was when the manager rented out another room in the place to a guy I did not approve of. This guy was a terrible student, an alcoholic, and was mentally ill. He went out to the bars every night often with his former frat brothers. He was always begging me to go with him so he didn't have to drink alone. I hate drinking. He would often come home late and pass out on my couch. He ended up taking over everything except my room. He was always "borrowing" my laptop so he could play League of Legends. He liked to yell at the screen at 2a.m. He was always eating while using my things, making a mess, and never cleaning anything. He even preferred to use my bathroom because I bought a brand new toilet seat and shower curtain. The bathroom was right by my door too. It was a two bathroom apartment with only two people! One day when he came home he puked on all over my table, my couch, and the floor. He refused to clean it up so I had to. Another time he came back passed out in front of the door and I had to carry him inside. Again he was puking everywhere and I had to take him to the bathroom mid vomit. So he's a drunk and a jerk that doesn't make him mentally ill? Well after a few conversations with the guy I find out he is going to therapy everyday not his classes. He had gotten kicked out of his frat for repeatedly hitting one of his fellow fraternity members with a golf club while intoxicated. I am sure the university counseling center has the golf club incident on record.

I had finally told the manager that he had to get me a room in a different building preferably a single. He refused stating that the lease clearly states that the rent must be paid in full and would not let me out of the lease. I also believe that when I paid him in cash he was not recording it. I have no way to prove I paid him because I got the money from family and it’s not on my bank statement. He never gave me any recites either. Looking back I should have reported him but I was very depressed at the time. I was failing most of my classes at this point due to stress. Electrical and Computer Engineering is stressful enough as it is. This left me fearing that my poor grades would lead to an undesirable career. This series of events ended up being one of the main reasons I stopped going to college. My grandmother was ill and needed someone to be there for her as well. I am currently staying with her to help care for her.

A property management company bought the buildings. They sent me a text saying that the previous owner had leased over occupancy and wanted to know why. I told them I left the place and stopped paying because of some issues with the building and management. They are now taking me to court for the money I allegedly owed to the previous manager. This does not account for my damaged property and not to mention my broken career. Unfortunately I have no proof of the damage. I also have no money for a lawyer.

Any thoughts on this case are greatly appreciated.

is55

Forgot to mention the lease has an error on my copy. It say it starts on 8/24/2014 to 8/15/2014.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">