• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Ownership Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Branway

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum but My company has worked with a local farm and personal friend for some time and we used his grounds for an event for four years. Over those years we built set pieces which he loaned us the money for and we paid him back at the end of the event. We are trying to take (our) buildings to new property due to a dispute and he's claiming the they are his since they're on his property and he fronted the money for us. He had no hand in the design or building of said structures.

I'm wondering what might be able to be done about this situation. Please note, none of this can be found in writing.

Thanks!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum but My company has worked with a local farm and personal friend for some time and we used his grounds for an event for four years. Over those years we built set pieces which he loaned us the money for and we paid him back at the end of the event. We are trying to take (our) buildings to new property due to a dispute and he's claiming the they are his since they're on his property and he fronted the money for us. He had no hand in the design or building of said structures.

I'm wondering what might be able to be done about this situation. Please note, none of this can be found in writing.

Thanks!
Nothing in writing, huh? That was a mistake.

The friend could have a legitimate claim to the buildings on his property if they can be seen as permanent structures. You could have a legitimate claim to the buildings if they can be seen as temporary structures.

The friend could say the money you paid him was for the use of his property only and that he paid for the buildings that were constructed. You can say that the friend offered you use of his property for free and the money you paid him was to pay back the loan needed to build the structures.

In your favor could be structures built on the friend's property in the past that are easily transportable and easily stored and have always been removed after each event. In your friend's favor could be structures built on his property that have remained on his property from event to event.

I am sure there are other back-and-forth claims that can be made by you and your friend, if not exactly like the ones outlined above.

Because there seems to be little to support any agreement you had with the friend over ownership of these buildings, other than what was agreed to orally, it could be up to a court to decide whose story make the most sense and who owns what.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">