• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ron finney

What is the name of your state? florida:( Friend was holding computer and clothing for me during a move, now friend will not return items. What do I do? What are my legal rights? What is first step in this matter?

W

willzviewz

Call your Clerk of Court

Florida should have a "replevin" statute. You should call the Clerk of Court at your local courthouse and ask if they have the forms for you to file a small claims replevin action.

What reasons has your friend given for not returning your things?

JETX

Though Florida is a replevin state, you would have to go through the process required by Statute. A copy of this statute can be found at:
http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0078/ch0078.htm

I might suggest that instead, you consider filing a simple small claims action to recover the value of the items taken. It is a much simpler process and normally the defendant will decide to return the property in lieu of the value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">