• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property taxes due on an eBay property transaction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Megan2323

California

I bought a property online through an eBay auction a couple months ago (January 2014).
I paid the property to an eBay seller who was not the owner of the property. The person who sold me the property was representing the real owner.
The owner of the property transferred the title to my name, and the transaction went smoothly.
Later I realized that the property had some back taxes due for the years of 2012 and 2013.
From early electronic communications with the representative of the previous owner (eBay seller), he stated that the taxes were current before I made my choice to buy the property.
I paid the taxes for those years to avoid foreclosure (around $7,000).
My questions are:
1. Do I have a good chance to will a small claim case?
2. Who should I sue, the owner of the property? or the representative that made the promise that the taxes were paid?
Thanks!

justalayman

forget about this being eBay as they specifically state the purchase of land is outside of their purview. They serve as an advertising service only for real estate transactions.

was this representative a lawyer or licensed real estate broker or an licensed real estate agent authorized to work under a licensed real estate broker?

If you did not avail yourself of a closing firm, the obligation to verify the details is yours. If you used a closing agent, the delinquent taxes would have been discovered. Unless there is something in your actual contract that the seller would be responsible for taxes prior to you assuming title, you purchased the land with the encumbrance of the taxes in place. so, what did your contract say to taxes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">