• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased a Car that was completely misrepresented

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MightyMouse75

I recently purchased a car on eBay. I asked very specific questions like, is there a scratch here or there, are there any dents dings or scratches at all, no matter how small. I was told there was nothing at all wrong with the car, no scratches or dings. The car was also listed with a "rebuilt engine 1200 miles ago and freshly rebuilt turbos" .. both of which turned out to be untrue. EBay has already awarded me $1800.00 to cover the costs of transmission repairs that the car requires, they feel the seller misrepresented the car. I have the shipping slip from the shipper stating that there was a crack in the bumper cover at the time of pick up. This is an $1,100 repair. The engine has an oil pressure light that comes on and it appears that only the heads were rebuilt, not the entire engine. The car has dents that would cost $250 for paintless dent repair. Do I have a chance if I sued in Small claims court? All questions were asked and answered in Email. The guy flat out lied about the car.
He went on to disregard my emails and phone calls for days at a time. He would eventually respond by telling me he'll take care of it and asking if he can get back to me later.. He would never get back to me.
In one particular email (right after I received the car I emailed him and he responded) he states "Tell me what's wrong and send me estimates and I'll pay to make it right"..
Other things were that he said he would send me some parts for the car prior to shipping it and never sent them (shift boot and sway bar bushings).
The wheels were chipped and corroded. The entire car's paint was scratched up. The suspension is shot (in the auction he states new paint and replaced most of the suspension). Nothing in the entire suspension has been replaced..
As I said, I sent him numerous emails giving him chances to make things right. I would send the prices of what it would cost to repair what I was finding to be wrong and told him I didn't expect him to pay it all. After a month of this I finally told him that I need a definitive answer from him or I'll have to pursue other legal routes. He told me he talked to a lawyer and he's not responsible for anything..
So, if I go to Iowa to sue this guy what chance do I have of winning?

Here is an example of how forthcoming I was being
All I’m asking for is that you pay for the things that were not disclosed. The front bumper repair, the wheels, the shift boot, the sway bar bushings, and the dents and dings on the car. I will deal with the oil leaks, blown turbo, oil pressure problems, cruise control, brake booster, struts, and whatever else I just haven’t noticed yet.

The costs of the items I’m asking you to cover as follows –
Bumper Cover – One company said it cannot be repaired because fiberglass is not flexible enough and won’t bond to the plastic, so the estimate was $1,105.13. I can get the bumper for less money, so I can deduct the $624.00 they have listed as the replacement cost and add in the $470.00 that I can get it for.
- $910.00
Wheels – The wheels were shot and while trying to take one off I discovered that 3 of the 5 lugs on that hub were cross threaded. I spent over 6 hours taking a wheel off. I managed to pick up a set of used wheels for $825.00 shipped. I would like you to cover ½ of that cost.
- $410.00
Dents – The guys at the last place I went to said it would cost around $250.00 but some of the dents would still be visible, but not nearly as bad as they are now.
- $250.00

The total cost of repairs that are actually needed exceed $4,000.00
Small claims in Iowa is up to $5,000.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and have a great day!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently purchased a car on eBay. I asked very specific questions like, is there a scratch here or there, are there any dents dings or scratches at all, no matter how small. I was told there was nothing at all wrong with the car, no scratches or dings. The car was also listed with a "rebuilt engine 1200 miles ago and freshly rebuilt turbos" .. both of which turned out to be untrue. EBay has already awarded me $1800.00 to cover the costs of transmission repairs that the car requires, they feel the seller misrepresented the car. I have the shipping slip from the shipper stating that there was a crack in the bumper cover at the time of pick up. This is an $1,100 repair. The engine has an oil pressure light that comes on and it appears that only the heads were rebuilt, not the entire engine. The car has dents that would cost $250 for paintless dent repair. Do I have a chance if I sued in Small claims court? All questions were asked and answered in Email. The guy flat out lied about the car.
He went on to disregard my emails and phone calls for days at a time. He would eventually respond by telling me he'll take care of it and asking if he can get back to me later.. He would never get back to me.
In one particular email (right after I received the car I emailed him and he responded) he states "Tell me what's wrong and send me estimates and I'll pay to make it right"..
Other things were that he said he would send me some parts for the car prior to shipping it and never sent them (shift boot and sway bar bushings).
The wheels were chipped and corroded. The entire car's paint was scratched up. The suspension is shot (in the auction he states new paint and replaced most of the suspension). Nothing in the entire suspension has been replaced..
As I said, I sent him numerous emails giving him chances to make things right. I would send the prices of what it would cost to repair what I was finding to be wrong and told him I didn't expect him to pay it all. After a month of this I finally told him that I need a definitive answer from him or I'll have to pursue other legal routes. He told me he talked to a lawyer and he's not responsible for anything..
So, if I go to Iowa to sue this guy what chance do I have of winning?

Here is an example of how forthcoming I was being
All I’m asking for is that you pay for the things that were not disclosed. The front bumper repair, the wheels, the shift boot, the sway bar bushings, and the dents and dings on the car. I will deal with the oil leaks, blown turbo, oil pressure problems, cruise control, brake booster, struts, and whatever else I just haven’t noticed yet.

The costs of the items I’m asking you to cover as follows –
Bumper Cover – One company said it cannot be repaired because fiberglass is not flexible enough and won’t bond to the plastic, so the estimate was $1,105.13. I can get the bumper for less money, so I can deduct the $624.00 they have listed as the replacement cost and add in the $470.00 that I can get it for.
- $910.00
Wheels – The wheels were shot and while trying to take one off I discovered that 3 of the 5 lugs on that hub were cross threaded. I spent over 6 hours taking a wheel off. I managed to pick up a set of used wheels for $825.00 shipped. I would like you to cover ½ of that cost.
- $410.00
Dents – The guys at the last place I went to said it would cost around $250.00 but some of the dents would still be visible, but not nearly as bad as they are now.
- $250.00

The total cost of repairs that are actually needed exceed $4,000.00
Small claims in Iowa is up to $5,000.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and have a great day!
50/50, more or less.
The FA crystal ball is down for the 100 hour service...sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">