• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased a genetically abnormal cat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BetterThink2xs

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Two years ago, after much investigation of catteries, I purchased a purebred kitten from a breeder I THOUGHT was reputable. The kitten was very ill upon delivery and required almost $1k in vet bills to bring into health. The breeder, in violation of their own contract, did not turn over the kitten's vet bills (ever) and turned over the registration and pedigree after months of my requesting them.

In the meantime, I had posted a message on a purebred cat group asking for information on the ancestry of my cat, since it was not forthcoming from the breeder. I did not mention the peoples name, but since the name of the cattery was in the cat's sire's name, I was sued by the breeder for defamation of character - in small claims court. Of course it was dismissed, but required my taking off work, traveling to the court, seeing "those people" again, etc.

Yes, the breeder told me to return the kitten when it was discovered it was ill, but by then, we knew that these were irresponsible, disreputable people and we would never see another kitten (and why would we want another one from them?) and we would definitely never see a dime of our money. I opted not to return to the kitten also, because as my veterinarian said, I had to realize that the breeder would kill the animal, it was in such bad shape, and knowing them they would not do so in a humane way. My emotions got the best of me, I kept the little guy and I've had two very good years with him.

Two weeks ago the now-grown cat became lame. Upon taking him to the vet, turns out he has a genetic disorder (degenerative disk disease) along with feline autoimmune disorder. He has the skeletal structure of a 10-12 year old cat. The little guy will never run, jump and play as he did before, but we can keep him comfortable and happy for whatever rest of his life he has - be it two months or two years.

The vet bills are mounting. Under the circumstances, could I take the breeder to small claims court? They had to have known that there was an hereditary problem that would surface sooner or later. I know that in some states animals are seen as property and the "upkeep" of that property is considered part of ownership.

Do I have a claim?What is the name of your state?

HappyHusband

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Two years ago, after much investigation of catteries, I purchased a purebred kitten from a breeder I THOUGHT was reputable. The kitten was very ill upon delivery and required almost $1k in vet bills to bring into health. The breeder, in violation of their own contract, did not turn over the kitten's vet bills (ever) and turned over the registration and pedigree after months of my requesting them.

In the meantime, I had posted a message on a purebred cat group asking for information on the ancestry of my cat, since it was not forthcoming from the breeder. I did not mention the peoples name, but since the name of the cattery was in the cat's sire's name, I was sued by the breeder for defamation of character - in small claims court. Of course it was dismissed, but required my taking off work, traveling to the court, seeing "those people" again, etc.

Yes, the breeder told me to return the kitten when it was discovered it was ill, but by then, we knew that these were irresponsible, disreputable people and we would never see another kitten (and why would we want another one from them?) and we would definitely never see a dime of our money. I opted not to return to the kitten also, because as my veterinarian said, I had to realize that the breeder would kill the animal, it was in such bad shape, and knowing them they would not do so in a humane way. My emotions got the best of me, I kept the little guy and I've had two very good years with him.

Two weeks ago the now-grown cat became lame. Upon taking him to the vet, turns out he has a genetic disorder (degenerative disk disease) along with feline autoimmune disorder. He has the skeletal structure of a 10-12 year old cat. The little guy will never run, jump and play as he did before, but we can keep him comfortable and happy for whatever rest of his life he has - be it two months or two years.

The vet bills are mounting. Under the circumstances, could I take the breeder to small claims court? They had to have known that there was an hereditary problem that would surface sooner or later. I know that in some states animals are seen as property and the "upkeep" of that property is considered part of ownership.

Do I have a claim?What is the name of your state?
The breeder offered to take the cat back. You declined. The continually mounting vet bills are not the breeder's responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">