• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchasing a Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocko33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, the other person is in New York.

I purchased a car online through what seemed to be ebay i sent money thorugh western union to the claimed to be certified ebay agent and never herd anything bac from them i have filled local police reports filled complaint in F.B.I can i take this case to small claims court? Even if obviously the address probably isnt real? Someone had to show a valid I.D. at western union to pick this amount of money up.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, the other person is in New York.

I purchased a car online through what seemed to be ebay i sent money thorugh western union to the claimed to be certified ebay agent and never herd anything bac from them i have filled local police reports filled complaint in F.B.I can i take this case to small claims court? Even if obviously the address probably isnt real? Someone had to show a valid I.D. at western union to pick this amount of money up.
You'd be chasing a ghost.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Your money is gone...

FlyingRon

Ebay warns you not to pay for things via Western Union.
Western Union warns you not to send business payments by Western Union.
Western Union is for sending money to your brother, not to strangers.
Once given the transaction info, the crook can pick up the money anywhere in the world.
You do not know, nor does ebay, who the crook is.
You can't sue, because to do so you'd need to know who to sue.

There's no such thing as a "certified ebay agent."
Ebay has darn few third party intermediaries and those are listed on ebay's site outside of what any bidder can stick in their listing. Escrow.com is pretty much it.

Your money is gone. It's impossible to chase down the guy in Nigeria or Russia or wherever he is hiding.

rocko33

chasing ghosts

I understand how this is a dead end but i also believe that the law should be able to chse these kinds of people down or the company being missrepresented should either way if the law cant look and get information average citizens cant are they really protecting us to our fullest potention. Anyway im not asking if its useless i know this but is their anyway legally to pursue this?

Antigone*

I understand how this is a dead end but i also believe that the law should be able to chse these kinds of people down or the company being missrepresented should either way if the law cant look and get information average citizens cant are they really protecting us to our fullest potention. Anyway im not asking if its useless i know this but is their anyway legally to pursue this?
Sure, file a police report and the law will pursue this to the fullest potention (sic).:rolleyes:

rocko33

address

I also sent it to a specific western union in the state the seller was suppost to be located in

BL

Ebay has buyer protection now .

Ebay sellers are required to keep an active account with money in it .

If the buyer has to end up filing a complaint ,ebay will review it and decide if the buyer deserves a refund.

Electronically .

You did not deal through ebay .

You were scammed .

sandyclaus

Once given the transaction info, the crook can pick up the money anywhere in the world.
I also sent it to a specific western union in the state the seller was suppost to be located in
Refer to the quote above.

It doesn't matter what state the seller was suppost (sic) to be located in, all you need is the transaction info and the person can claim the money from ANY Western Union location anywhere in the world. NOT just in the state they claim to be located in.

They say there is a sucker born every minute. Apparently this so-called "Certified eBay Agent" saw you coming from miles away... Which is where that person is now, and nowhere that you will likely be able to track them down and find them to sue or arrest them.

FlyingRon

Listen carefully: The destination address you put on the WU transmission means NOTHING. Given the transaction information it can be retrieved ANYWHERE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">