• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on "abandoned property"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apushea

hello california, we have a tentant in a sublease that skipped on rent & trashed the place. he moved all of his property into the garage and hasn't come back to claim it. we can't locate him anywhere. We served him the "notice to reclaim abandoned property (over $300)", giving him 18 days to get it out or we have to sell it at public auction. can't find any information on how this process works or where to start. does anyone know anything about this, what the costs will be, how to dispose of the stuff in auction. :confused:

any advise is appreciated.

A

ashook65

Im not a lawyer or anything but I would run an ad in the newspaper and if he doesnt come and get it after the time limit you mention in the ad then it should be yours to do with what ever you want to do with it. I have had the same situtation happen to me and I waited 30 days and they didnt come and get it then it was considered mine. But I live in North Carolina. So I dont know the rules in California. heck with a magistrate he should know the laws on things like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">