• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Comcast:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rushfan_2112

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Almost two months ago a Comcast technician was in my home to toubleshoot my internet connection. While here, he broke a moderately expensive picture frame and the broken glass scratched the picture inside. After a complaint was filed, I spoke to a man in Comcast's local office who told me that if I purchased a new frame, I would be able to send the purchase receipt to the local office and Comcast will cut me a check for the amount within a few days and send it back to me. I sent the receipt out almost a month ago. I called the man who I spoke with over the weekend, and he called me back this morning telling me that they 'recently changed the procedure' for writing out checks to customers for damage, and it will now take 'a little while; at least a month'. And when it gets to their regional office, it might not even be approved! He also told me that I should have taken the amount and have them place it on my account as a credit, something he said he said when I spoke to him shortly after the incident happened, but didn't. I'm fed up! I've had nothing but problems with their technicians coming to my house for problems that were Comcast's fault to begin with! What I would like to know is the following:

-In the event I'm denied that money back, would I be able to take Comcast to court for the amount that was paid for the frame that their technician broke?

-Is how they handled the situation even legal?

-If they offer only a credit on my account, and refuse to cut me a check, what are my legal options?

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm sick and tired of being bullied by them! Thank you for letting me get that out.

mlane58

-If they offer only a credit on my account, and refuse to cut me a check, what are my legal options?
If they credit your account the monies you paid for a frame, then how are you out any money?

racer72

If they offer only a credit on my account, and refuse to cut me a check, what are my legal options?
What's the difference? That nickel is only worth 5 cents whether they give it to you in a check or credit it to your account.

xylene

What's the difference? That nickel is only worth 5 cents whether they give it to you in a check or credit it to your account.
I wasn't aware that I could spend comcast credits at the store or deposit them at the bank.

HINT - your answer assumes (and their offer requires) that he stay with comcast for it to have any value... :rolleyes:

racer72

I wasn't aware that I could spend comcast credits at the store or deposit them at the bank.

HINT - your answer assumes (and their offer requires) that he stay with comcast for it to have any value... :rolleyes:
You make it sound like that is illegal. It's not. Money is money, it doesn't matter where is comes from. If the OP gets a $50 credit, he pays $50 less on his next bill and he pockets the money he did not send Comcast. He can take this and have a night on the town. If he decides to take his business elsewhere and cancels, he has a $50 credit that will be returned to him in the form of a check that he can cash and spend where he wants. The OP is made whole again. See, that nickel is still worth 5 cents, doesn't matter where it comes from.

There is something else the OP may not like either.
would I be able to take Comcast to court for the amount that was paid for the frame that their technician broke?
You are only entitled to fair market value. What is the same frame worth used?

Last edited:

rushfan_2112

I understand what all of you are saying, but allow me to be a little more clear: If it comes down to the Regional Office denying my claim outright, offering me nothing at all, not even credit, I want to know what my rights are. I've been lied to by this company several times in the past few months, and I simply cannot trust them. Today was the final straw. I was told a check, and I am expecting a check, not credit, not anything else in any form other than a check. I'm looking at the possible situations that might play out so I can form a game plan.

racer72

Sue them for the value of the frame. Don't turn down a credit to your account, this would be the same as telling them no to a check and would be grounds to have your lawsuit tossed. As stated above, a credit to your account is the same as getting a check, in the end you still have the same amount of money in your pocket at the end of the day (or month or year, whatever).

cosine

I understand what all of you are saying, but allow me to be a little more clear: If it comes down to the Regional Office denying my claim outright, offering me nothing at all, not even credit, I want to know what my rights are. I've been lied to by this company several times in the past few months, and I simply cannot trust them. Today was the final straw. I was told a check, and I am expecting a check, not credit, not anything else in any form other than a check. I'm looking at the possible situations that might play out so I can form a game plan.
Unless you are dropping Comcast as a provider, then what is the problem with taking the amount as a credit?

xylene

Don't turn down a credit to your account, this would be the same as telling them no to a check and would be grounds to have your lawsuit tossed.
That is completely untrue.

Please explain the law basis for a dismissal over a dispute on how restitution would be made.

xylene

Unless you are dropping Comcast as a provider, then what is the problem with taking the amount as a credit?
1. He expressed that he indeed IS considering dropping them

2. If the he wants to drop them later - he loses his credit - aka no restitution - (esp If one is assuming the damage is more than 1 month service - which it may well be.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
2. If the he wants to drop them later - he loses his credit - aka no restitution - (esp If one is assuming the damage is more than 1 month service - which it may well be.)
That is not true. If you have a credit balance, they will refund by check.

racer72

That is completely untrue.

Please explain the law basis for a dismissal over a dispute on how restitution would be made.
What's the difference between the value of a $50 credit and a $50 check? In the eyes of most if not all courts, nothing. I have seen this before, someone turns down a reasonable offer for reimbursement only to then have the court dismiss the case. Reasonable and fair offer made, acceptable to both parties but rejected by plaintiff over semantics. Judge agrees with the fair offer and has no reason to issue judgment, case dismissed.

AnnetteG

Comcast

..is the WORST company to deal with... You may get to this point.. I did.. the owner of Comcast lives in Philly Pa.. at the RITTENHOUSE SQUARE Hotel... good luck.. a letter may be all you need to this man.

racer72

..is the WORST company to deal with... You may get to this point.. I did.. the owner of Comcast lives in Philly Pa.. at the RITTENHOUSE SQUARE Hotel... good luck.. a letter may be all you need to this man.
Where did you get this bit of crappola? Comcast is a publically held company whose stock is traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange. I might even have some of their stock in my portfolio thus making me an owner of Comcast.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">