• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about garnishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Salveo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Last year my girlfriend and I were in her car driving through town. We pulled up to a legal stop at a stoplight, and a driver behind us failed to stop and smashed into our vehicle. She failed to respond to our attempts to settle out of court, and thus we filed a small claims case for the damages. A subpoena was delivered to her, and she attempted to get us to reschedule it a day beforehand because she could not get out of work. We went ahead with the planned date, and she failed to show up, and my girlfriend won by default. It has been 7 months since, and last month we went ahead with collections as she did not respond to any attempts to reach her, and delivered garnishment papers to her place of work. We have since received paperwork from said workplace that the garnishment was going to begin with her next paycheck. Now she is trying to get in touch with my girlfriend trying to get her address so she can give her some paperwork. We are both suspicious of this and I am wondering if there is any kind of legal recourse the woman might be trying to take, or if we should just ignore her requests at this point?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Last year my girlfriend and I were in her car driving through town. We pulled up to a legal stop at a stoplight, and a driver behind us failed to stop and smashed into our vehicle. She failed to respond to our attempts to settle out of court, and thus we filed a small claims case for the damages. A subpoena was delivered to her, and she attempted to get us to reschedule it a day beforehand because she could not get out of work. We went ahead with the planned date, and she failed to show up, and my girlfriend won by default. It has been 7 months since, and last month we went ahead with collections as she did not respond to any attempts to reach her, and delivered garnishment papers to her place of work. We have since received paperwork from said workplace that the garnishment was going to begin with her next paycheck. Now she is trying to get in touch with my girlfriend trying to get her address so she can give her some paperwork. We are both suspicious of this and I am wondering if there is any kind of legal recourse the woman might be trying to take, or if we should just ignore her requests at this point?
Pre

Your girlfriend is under no obligation to comply with a request for her address, since, presumably, your girlfriend's address is on court papers the other driver received for the Small Claims suit at which she failed to appear. I know *I* wouldn't be responding to that myself.

There is a distinct possibility that the driver is trying to challenge the garnishment, claim a hardship, or possibly even trying to appeal the judgment. She can certainly check with the court to see if anything has been filed there. Otherwise, just proceed as planned and wait for the money to come in from the garnishment order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">