• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a small claims demand letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new wife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

There is a person who has possession of all my personal property because she filed for a TRO (temporary restraining order). I would like to quickly note that this is just a small part of a much bigger case that I am essentially just a third party to. The TRO was based on false allegations with the overall goal of getting me removed from the house we were both living in. That being said, I had representation on the date of the original hearing. My counsel argued that this filing is part of another case and belonged in a different venue. With that he asked that the hearing be reset for a date 3-4 months out. **The hope was that the other case would be in mediation or closed, essentially proving there was no need for the TRO hearing against me.

The judge granted the request for the continuation setting the date for March 2016. The attorney that represented me never gave me any court documents or the date for the follow up hearing. At 4:30 pm the night before the hearing he sends my fiance an email that says, "Hearing tomorrow for new wife". We happened to be on a cruise ship and did not receive the email until pulling into port upon our return. This same attorney did not bother going to court to represent me, now claiming conflict of interest (he represents my fiance for the case filed by the same person - Marvin filing). It goes without saying that this person won the case by matter of default because I was a "no-show".

So as of date I now have a judgement against me permitting me from any physical, verbal, (and I believe) written contact with this person for a period of one year commencing March 25, 2016. It seems that my only legal recourse is to file a small claims judgement to try and recover my personal property. This is where I could really use some advice on how to proceed.

Question: Can I legally as per the court requirement, send this person a demand letter giving her the opportunity to return my property without being in violation of the current RO? Would it be in my best interest to have an attorney draft the letter so that the rights to my property are understood? Or do I just hope and pray that my property will be available in one year from now?

I have been without my possessions since November of 2015. Everything I own has had to be replaced as I was only able to grab some clothing items. This person has all of my financial records, birth certificate, Social Security Number, and those of my children as well. Everything she needs to commit identity theft is available to her. This has been devastating...please help!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

There is a person who has possession of all my personal property because she filed for a TRO (temporary restraining order). I would like to quickly note that this is just a small part of a much bigger case that I am essentially just a third party to. The TRO was based on false allegations with the overall goal of getting me removed from the house we were both living in. That being said, I had representation on the date of the original hearing. My counsel argued that this filing is part of another case and belonged in a different venue. With that he asked that the hearing be reset for a date 3-4 months out. **The hope was that the other case would be in mediation or closed, essentially proving there was no need for the TRO hearing against me.

The judge granted the request for the continuation setting the date for March 2016. The attorney that represented me never gave me any court documents or the date for the follow up hearing. At 4:30 pm the night before the hearing he sends my fiance an email that says, "Hearing tomorrow for new wife". We happened to be on a cruise ship and did not receive the email until pulling into port upon our return. This same attorney did not bother going to court to represent me, now claiming conflict of interest (he represents my fiance for the case filed by the same person - Marvin filing). It goes without saying that this person won the case by matter of default because I was a "no-show".

So as of date I now have a judgement against me permitting me from any physical, verbal, (and I believe) written contact with this person for a period of one year commencing March 25, 2016. It seems that my only legal recourse is to file a small claims judgement to try and recover my personal property. This is where I could really use some advice on how to proceed.

Question: Can I legally as per the court requirement, send this person a demand letter giving her the opportunity to return my property without being in violation of the current RO? Would it be in my best interest to have an attorney draft the letter so that the rights to my property are understood? Or do I just hope and pray that my property will be available in one year from now?

I have been without my possessions since November of 2015. Everything I own has had to be replaced as I was only able to grab some clothing items. This person has all of my financial records, birth certificate, Social Security Number, and those of my children as well. Everything she needs to commit identity theft is available to her. This has been devastating...please help!!
You will want to contact an/your attorney to discuss your options.

Silverplum

I would not have left town in the month of March 2016, knowing my important hearing was set for that month. At least, not without checking with my attorney.

You cannot make contact, not even by letter. Hire an attorney.

new wife

I would not have left town in the month of March 2016, knowing my important hearing was set for that month. At least, not without checking with my attorney.

You cannot make contact, not even by letter. Hire an attorney.
You are right! I did in fact attempt to reach the attorney several times. Unfortunately he is not very good at responding right away. Thanks for the input.

new wife

I had a gut feeling that I indeed need to contact an attorney for this matter. Can anyone suggest whether I should seek a general civil law attorney opposed to a property attorney? I want to settle this as quickly and as afford-ably as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">