• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about verbal agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WheatonSLF

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, this seemed appropriate though.

I would like some input. I and everyone involved live in Illinois. A friend of mine has been down on their luck, and lived with my mother for 10 months. He was not asked to pay rent, and she told him repeatedly that she was glad to help him and that she wasn't "keeping track" of expense. She also paid for his groceries and gave him spending money, which he never asked for. My friend can attest to this, as can I as I had been around a couple times. Essentially, he was living scot free, and she acknowledged this and suggested it herself.

Last week they had a large argument and she threw out my friend. Now she's filed with the court to have him pay $2500 in "car repair, food, gas and pocket money and travel expenses". He doesn't have that money (again, down on his luck) so if she succeeds he will be ruined.

Does she have a case? My friend never signed anything. There was no written agreement, contract, housing papers, or anything of the sort. My friend was expected to help around the house, but that was the extent of what was stated. She can prove she paid for some things, like his car repair, but everything else of the last 10 months is muddled and mixed in with her own expenses and paper trail. The exact charge on the summons was "Complaint: Forcible entry and detainer."

I hope that's enough information. Thanks for your time!

latigo

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, this seemed appropriate though.

I would like some input. I and everyone involved live in Illinois. A friend of mine has been down on their luck, and lived with my mother for 10 months. He was not asked to pay rent, and she told him repeatedly that she was glad to help him and that she wasn't "keeping track" of expense. She also paid for his groceries and gave him spending money, which he never asked for. My friend can attest to this, as can I as I had been around a couple times. Essentially, he was living scot free, and she acknowledged this and suggested it herself.

Last week they had a large argument and she threw out my friend. Now she's filed with the court to have him pay $2500 in "car repair, food, gas and pocket money and travel expenses". He doesn't have that money (again, down on his luck) so if she succeeds he will be ruined. (?).

Does she have a case? My friend never signed anything. There was no written agreement, contract, housing papers, or anything of the sort. My friend was expected to help around the house, but that was the extent of what was stated. She can prove she paid for some things, like his car repair, but everything else of the last 10 months is muddled and mixed in with her own expenses and paper trail. The exact charge on the summons was "Complaint: Forcible entry and detainer."

I hope that's enough information. Thanks for your time!
You say that if momma succeeds in suing him, he wil be "ruined"?

How do you ruin something that is already worthless?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">