• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about witholding someone's items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Maryland

My ex friend left some valuable things over my house about 10 months ago. I'm going to be moving in 4 months and I plan on having a yard sale. I refuse to call her and ask her if she still wants her things because I don't want to speak to her. My contact information has been the same for years and she hasn't contacted me showing interest in wanting her things.

I'm not really witholding her items so my question is can I sell her things and not have to worry about her contacing me later with a law suit?

racer72

Send her a letter, CRRR, telling her she has 30 days to retrieve her items. State that after 30 days the items will be sold to recover the cost of storing the items. Include a detailed list of all items and keep a copy for yourself. Selling her stuff without proper notification could land you in a bunch of trouble, she could claim she left valuable merchadise in your care and you would have no way of proving it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">