• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on getting paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avalin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Out of curiosity I am considering filing a Small Claims case against a couple people that owe me money for services. It is open and shut because they signed agreement to give me two weeks notice and decided not to. They have no case to file a counter claim against me however they are being difficult about fulfilling their end.

I gave them a deadline to pay me by and I have a feeling that they will not pay by the date but rather wait until I file the claim and pay me after just to spite me. I warned them that I would file if they do not pay me by that date however they know this will obviously cost me money to do so.

So, just curious if they send me a check after I file (but before the court date) and they do not include court costs as well as the other damages and expenses I've decided to include in requesting the judgement on, am I required to cash the check or take the money? Or can I refuse it and go through the court to get the full cost instead? I don't want to end up "out" the court costs by filing.

Last edited:

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Out of curiosity I am considering filing a Small Claims case against a couple people that owe me money for services. It is open and shut because they signed agreement to give me two weeks notice and decided not to. They have no case to file a counter claim against me however they are being difficult about fulfilling their end.

I gave them a deadline to pay me by and I have a feeling that they will not pay by the date but rather wait until I file the claim and pay me after just to spite me. I warned them that I would file if they do not pay me by that date however they know this will obviously cost me money to do so.

So, just curious if they send me a check after I file (but before the court date) and they do not include court costs as well as the other damages and expenses I've decided to include in requesting the judgement on, am I required to cash the check or take the money? Or can I refuse it and go through the court to get the full cost instead? I don't want to end up "out" the court costs by filing.
If they pay you after you file a claim against them, simply attend the Hearing and there will be a judgment for the court costs. Then you can approach them for that payment. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">