• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question related to Demand Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvedia

What is the name of your state - NY

I have to send a demand letter to NY but the person I am suing has changed his address multiple times and I am not sure what is his current address is

So,

1. Can I send demand letter to all 3 addresses? or the one mentioned in the contract is good enough? The reason behind sending to all 3 addresses is to find the current address where defendant is staying
2. I have to send certified mail with a return receipt requested? In this case, is it possible that the person refuses to accept it even when they stay there? Is signature on delivery optional?
3. Is there a way to send the mail using USPS or any other carrier without disclosing my name and address on the mail(or not mentioning sender mail). Because once the defendant sees my address or name, I have a feeling that they wont accept it

adjusterjack

When I had rental properties I was faced with that problem many times.

1. Can I send demand letter to all 3 addresses?
Yes. And it's an excellent idea to do so.

2. I have to send certified mail with a return receipt requested?
A demand letter does not necessarily have to be sent certified mail with a return receipt requested.

In this case, is it possible that the person refuses to accept it even when they stay there? Is signature on delivery optional?
There is certainly a risk that certified mail might be ignored or refused. Many people duck certified mail as trouble.

Is signature on delivery optional?
For a demand letter it's optional.

Is there a way to send the mail using USPS or any other carrier without disclosing my name and address on the mail(or not mentioning sender mail). Because once the defendant sees my address or name, I have a feeling that they wont accept it
You can use tracking and delivery confirmation instead of return receipt. That way you at least know that it got to his address.

Make sure you also ask for "address correction" in case he filed a forwarding address.

The biggest problem is going to happen when you file your lawsuit. You'll have to have him personally served or use certified return receipt (if allowed) so, eventually, you'll have to determine exactly where he lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">