• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Small Claims Jurisdiction for Internet Sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrappy02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I reside in Missouri. Over 2 years ago I made several purchase through ebay and separately for handmade craft items from one person. These were custom pieces she was supposed to create for me and then ship together in one package. 2 years later, she still has not shipped the items and I would like to sue her for the total amount I paid almost $1K through Paypal. The problem is she resides in Oregon. I have the paper work for filing a claim in my county (state of Missouri), is this correct or do I need to file in the county in which she resides(Oregon)? She doesn't have a business, she was strictly an ebay seller.

I read this on Legalzoom, and assumed that because it was an internet purchase I could file locally where I reside and not where she resides:

"Where Should You File Your Small Claim?
The general rule as to where to file your case depends on where the defendant lives, or where the action that led to the dispute took place. If you ordered something over the internet, by mail or telephone, your local court will usually have jurisdiction, since your part of the transaction took place locally."

I would like to submit the claim on Friday, but now I'm totally confused- where to I file the claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">