• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions on legality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dirtbiker

What is the name of your state? south carolina

ok heres my situation i had an ex girlfriend gave me two thousand dollars a while back and told me that i didn' t have to pay her back she just wanted to help me out now all of a sudden she's calling me non stop talking about i have until wednesday to pay her two thousand dollars i have no problem paying her back but i don't have two thousand dollars i really don't have anything i pretty much live paycheck to paycheck she says if she doesn't have the money by wednesday she's gonna take me to court what is there that i can do about this and what can she do i'd prefer not to go to court but she's not at all willing to be nice thanks for the help

ForFun

Wow...my head still hurts from reading that run-on sentence. :p

Anyway, you are not obligated to repay a gift. The burden will be on your ex to prove that she loaned you the money. It may simply come down to who the judge believes.

moburkes

Wow...my head still hurts from reading that run-on sentence. :p

Anyway, you are not obligated to repay a gift. The burden will be on your ex to prove that she loaned you the money. It may simply come down to who the judge believes.
And, to think that Fair called ME the grammar po-po!:D

buckbill

Do not reply to any of her demands for the money! She will eventually get tired of hounding you. It would not be worth it for her to pursue legal action. Nothing will come of this. learn a lesson from this. do not accept any money from girlfriends or any one else and you will be ok. When you start accepting money from girlfriends they think they own you. Either do without or work 2 jobs..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It would not be worth it for her to pursue legal action.
Amazing - Your advice is to ignore it because $2,000 is not enough for someone to sue over. You have no idea what evidence the ex has. And, if I felt I had a strong case, I would DEFINITELY sue over $2,000!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">