• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quick question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakoto70

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a quick question and I hope someone might know the answer. I have two sisters who were working for the same cleaning company, they both put their two weeks notice in. The company paid them with checks (individual) and they went to something like the corner store and cashed them. The checks bounced and now they are coming after 1 sister for the amount of both checks. Is 1 sister responsable for both checks, should they each be responsable for their own individual checks, is the company liable for it bouncing, should my sister pay it because she did cash the check and than turn around and sue the cleaning company for the money? And if she does pay it should she just pay the amount for her check or for both checks? I told her I thought she would have to pay it back and than go after the company but I do not understand why they are charging her for both of them when she should be liable for just the one check.

Any help woul be appreciated with this matter. She just recieved a letter from an attorney about this matter.

JETX

"The checks bounced and now they are coming after 1 sister for the amount of both checks. Is 1 sister responsable for both checks, should they each be responsable for their own individual checks,"
*** What probably happened is that one sister endorsed her check to the other sister..... and that one presented both checks to the store. That is very likely why the store is pursuing recovery from only one of them.

"is the company liable for it bouncing,"
*** Ultimately, yes.

"should my sister pay it because she did cash the check and than turn around and sue the cleaning company for the money?"
*** Yes.

"And if she does pay it should she just pay the amount for her check or for both checks?"
*** If the 2nd sister endorsed to her as I described, then she (the presenter) is liable for both checks that she cashed.

"I told her I thought she would have to pay it back and than go after the company but I do not understand why they are charging her for both of them when she should be liable for just the one check."
*** See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">