• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BalsaiGeorgia

What is the name of your state?
This seems to me to be a no brainer, but im no law expert so i thought i would ask :)
I was given money and never told to pay it back. Later on down the line (perhaps 6 months) this person wanted their money back, then again told me they weren't worried about it (make up your mind right?)
Now in a number of threatening phone calls Ive been given an exact date and time to return this money
I was wondering
1) is it possible to bring legal action to make me pay
and
2)If this person indeed tried to sue me could I then countersue for harassment based on the countless phone calls often involving verbal abuse.
Not a large amount just trying to get some compensation for court fees and lawyers, etc.

I figure that even if I did agree at the time of the transaction to pay the money back (which I did not) there is no evidence to prove that this took place. Therefore loan, gift, whatever there is no proof of an agreement to repay the money. Only proof of a monetary exchange would be the check given to me.

Thanks in andvance for any reply!

Last edited:

JETX

BalsaiGeorgia said:
is it possible to bring legal action to make me pay
Yes. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.

If this person indeed tried to sue me could I then countersue for harassment based on the countless phone calls often involving verbal abuse.
No. Demands to pay are NOT harassment. Especially since it is within YOUR control to remove the 'harassment' by paying the debt.

JETX

BalsaiGeorgia said:
I owe no debt... it was a gift with no agreement for the money to be returned
Anyone willing to take my bet that the other party sees this 'debt' differently??

BalsaiGeorgia

Its a small amount of money which I havent even heard mentioned in almost a year now, now this person is strapped for cash and is bringing it back up. If my grandmother had given me a check when I was younger for say $100 (nice grandmother right there...) on a holiday or birthday or if she wanted to help me buy that shiny new schwinn, I wouldnt think...well gee I'm gonna have to give her that money back next year. I would never accept loaned money, I have OCD and the thought of being in debt would weigh on my mind night and day. Ive worked hard to get what I have and rarely have money left over. Im busting my ass to put myself through college because I dont feel like being 30 years old and still paying student loans. I dont have much but what I do have is mine.

JETX

BalsaiGeorgia said:
Its a small amount of money......
I have OCD and the thought of being in debt would weigh on my mind night and day.
If it is that small amount, pay it. Case solved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">