• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit freelance work, still have their computer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JackyDakota

New Mexico

A few months back I quit my freelance position doing graphic design for someone who lives about an hour from me. There was no signed contract between us. They had purchased a computer for business use and had it shipped directly to me. I have no problem giving the computer back but I am not bringing it to them nor will I let it go without some sort of proof stating it is in working condition when I relinquish possession.

I have told them I would like 24 hours notice before pickup and will not face them without someone else being present after receiving a rather threatening voicemail from the employer.

The person my former employer wishes to send to do the pickup refuses to sign a statement saying the computer is in working condition.

How can I cover my butt in case the employer decides to drag me to court for some reason? The computer IS in working/excellent condition and has not been used for personal reasons at all since I stopped working for them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Offer to pay them the value of the computer. If they accept, then come to an agreed value and pay it and enjoy your new computer :)

Proserpina

New Mexico

A few months back I quit my freelance position doing graphic design for someone who lives about an hour from me. There was no signed contract between us. They had purchased a computer for business use and had it shipped directly to me. I have no problem giving the computer back but I am not bringing it to them nor will I let it go without some sort of proof stating it is in working condition when I relinquish possession.

I have told them I would like 24 hours notice before pickup and will not face them without someone else being present after receiving a rather threatening voicemail from the employer.

The person my former employer wishes to send to do the pickup refuses to sign a statement saying the computer is in working condition.

How can I cover my butt in case the employer decides to drag me to court for some reason? The computer IS in working/excellent condition and has not been used for personal reasons at all since I stopped working for them.

And the reason you won't take it to them directly is....?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">