• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit from school without 30 day written notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vitaminA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I informed the school in late October that my son will no longer attend school in November because of family relocation out of state. We signed a contract with the school stating that the deposit is two months tuition and non-refundable. In the middle of November, we received a bill from the school saying that we should be responsible for November's tuition due to the short notice. It's my mistake that I didn't see the 30 day written notice. But, is it legal to charge us November's tuition? We know that the two months tuition deposit are non-refundable and it was clearly mentioned in the contract. However, in the contract, no additional fee is mentioned anywhere.

Thank you so much in advance,
Jenny

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I informed the school in late October that my son will no longer attend school in November because of family relocation out of state. We signed a contract with the school stating that the deposit is two months tuition and non-refundable. In the middle of November, we received a bill from the school saying that we should be responsible for November's tuition due to the short notice. It's my mistake that I didn't see the 30 day written notice. But, is it legal to charge us November's tuition? We know that the two months tuition deposit are non-refundable and it was clearly mentioned in the contract. However, in the contract, no additional fee is mentioned anywhere.

Thank you so much in advance,
Jenny
What you are responsible for is outlined in the contract you signed, which is legally binding on both you and the school. If the contract says the deposit is two months tuition and non-refundable, then the two months tuition you paid is non-refundable. The fact that you didn't see the 30 day written notice is not the fault of the school. Before signing any contract, you must not only know all of its terms, you must understand what these terms commit you to legally.

I am not seeing in your post the "additional fee" that you speak of. Where does that come in?

vitaminA

Thanks for your answer!

"30 day written notice" and "two months tuition as deposit and non-refundable" are mentioned in the contract. No such wording in the contract, for example, "extra month tuition as additional fee will be charged if you don't give a 30 day written notice.

What you are responsible for is outlined in the contract you signed, which is legally binding on both you and the school. If the contract says the deposit is two months tuition and non-refundable, then the two months tuition you paid is non-refundable. The fact that you didn't see the 30 day written notice is not the fault of the school. Before signing any contract, you must not only know all of its terms, you must understand what these terms commit you to legally.

I am not seeing in your post the "additional fee" that you speak of. Where does that come in?

I'mTheFather

Well, if you consider that your notice in late October constituted the beginning of the 30-day notice, then November's tuition is not an additional fee.

Silverplum

Thanks for your answer!

"30 day written notice" and "two months tuition as deposit and non-refundable" are mentioned in the contract. No such wording in the contract, for example, "extra month tuition as additional fee will be charged if you don't give a 30 day written notice.
You wrote more about wording that does not exist than you did about the wording that does exist.

FWIW, I agree with TheFather.

quincy

Thanks for your answer!

Ah, I see. You did not expect to be charged for an extra month's tuition if you did not give a 30 day written notice or if you gave the notice late.

You could address the billing matter with the school but I think it reasonable for the school to charge for the extra month. They apparently would not have billed for November if your notice had been received as it should have been according to the terms of your contract you signed. I can see where a late notice could cause problems for the school.

You could have the contract personally reviewed in its entirely by an attorney in your area, however, if the tuition payment is a substantial one and the school is unwilling to negotiate with you on the extra month's payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">