• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

radio/gps theft on auto repair lot - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsireno

This was in NJ. I left my car to be repaired for $900 and told the people that it would be a month before I could pick it up. They agreed. After 1 month, I could not pick it up because i did not have the money and was not in the country for another 20 days. I told them this and they were not happy because they said they were "concerned about being responsible for the car." I told them I could have someone drop off $500 then and that I would be back in 20 days with the rest of the money to pick up the car. They reluctantly agree.

Fast forward 20 days. I arrive with the remaining money to pick up the car, only to find that a few days earlier the diver side window was smashed in and the in dash gps/radio head unit was stolen (valued at nearly $1500). They tell me I am responsible because I should never have left the car there that long. The guy I talked to on the phone claims to have agreed to keep the car the additional time as long as they were not responsible. This is a lie as I never aggred to this condition and I definatly did not sign anything that released them from liability. (neither did the party who dropped off the $500)

So I file a separate police report with information on the actual stolen unit and take the car to be repaired elsewhere. I plan to take them to small claims court and will be filing the paperwork as soon as I have the exact $$ figures for the window and radio replacement and installation. I can not afford a lawyer and I have never been to court outside of traffic offenses. What should I expect and do you think I have a chance. Also is there any president or bit of information I should bring to the attention of the court - or do I watch too much law and order? help...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">