• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Raffle Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James Beaudoin

California

A person bought tickets for an event for me, then paid for my raffle tickets. In the end of the evening my ticket won two round trip airfares any where in the world.

Now after months have gone by the person wants the tickets back for the round trip airfare opportunity.

Do I have to return them if they were gifted to me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

latigo

NO!

You DO NOT have to return the tickets. Not as long as they were handed to you with the intention that they were a gift. (Or if the money to purchase the tickets was delivered with the intention that it was a gift.)

I’m sure the donor would like to exchange his for yours. However, it seems he is either unaware of, or is refusing to acknowledge a fundamental principle of personal property law.

Which is - a gift is competed and title passes at the time possession of the subject matter of the gift is transferred to the donee with the intention of making a gift.

In other words, the delivery must be either prior to, or coincident with the expression or manifestation of intent.

Send him a post card or two while enjoying the trip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">