• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A "rank amateur" question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judyinjersey

What is the name of your state? NJ

Over the summer a friend asked me to move in with her as she was out of work..
We signed a rental paper and I gave her roughly $600.
About 3 days later I had just about finish unpacking,,unfortuantely, when I went out I did not realize I had left the coffeepot on.
The next morning she stated "she couldn't take it..and didn't like living with anyone and I had to leave" I said, alright, I would leave if she gave me back the money. ( minus a bit for the 3 days)
When I went upstairs to shower she called the police. I am not exactly sure what she said to them..but a policeman came up stairs and said "either one of us left ..or someone was going to jail ..and her name was on the lease."
I started putting some things in the car and she called the police again,,saying I was stealing things,,(papers which she found while they were back there for the second time)

I tried to keep things civil,,,(though of course she is not a freind any longer) called asking for my money a few times, she does not pick up or return the calls. She is now back at work (after having won a large settlement,,so she certainly could afford to pay me)

I come to realize she has the rental agreement paper.. I really have no way to prove I gave her the money..and it was cash. Am wondering if it is worth trying to go to small claims..If I go in my town and she does not show would I win by default?

thanks in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">