• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This for Real?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BadRoommate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I moved into a residence November 2008 and have not signed a formal lease. A roommate writes a rent check every month for all three rents for our landlord, totaling $975, and, by word of mouth, the other roommate and I have agreed to pay her.

For January and February, the rent checks I wrote were lost by said individual. My bank is smaller, lacking a lot of fraud protection, and the check numbers were not noted as to be able to void them. She is now planning to take me to Small Claims Court if I do not write her an additional check for $650.

I have 4 days to give her the $650 she esentially lost or she starts the small claims court proceedings. Advice. Does she have a leg to stand on with no written agreement? Also, she's claiming it will ruin my credit if preceedings continue, does it?.

She has also been a miserable roomate: leaving our house unlocked for days because she lost a key, irresponsible, and cowardly (she has not formally talked about any of the situation). Plenty of witnesses for her behavior and for my checks being written.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">