• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reclaiming personal belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodde75

What is the name of your state? Maine

My ex-girlfriend and I had lived together for just over a year. When we moved in together, she bought the house and I paid for the appliances. Now that we are going our seperate ways, I have offered to buy the house or she can pay me $5300 for the appliances. She wants to keep the house, which is fine with me, but does not want to pay me for the appliances or allow me to retain them. She absolutely refuses to give them back, almost like a little kid not wanting to give something back that does not belong to them.

I am in Iraq right now, so all of this went down while I was deployed. When I get back to the states, I just want to claim what is mine and put this all behind me. I have receipts showing that I purchased them, if she has not thrown them out. If she has, I can probably go to the local Best Buy and have them produce the receipts. Is there anything that I can do legally?

Thanks for your help.

moburkes

Sure. Sue her in court for the depreciated value of your items.

She is not required to sell you HER house.

woodde75

Out of the kindness of my heart, I was offering to buy the house, to relieve her of the financial liability. Of course, that was in hopes of her agreeing to buy or return my appliances.

What would be the next step I would need to take? Do I need to send her a certified letter, stating my intentions or just drop the boom? Actually, how do I go about dropping the boom? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">