• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recommendations for Judgement Recovery Agency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trojanwarrior

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm looking to collect a judgement in Southern California that is under $10,000. Please list any agencies you could recommend that take their fees only if collection is successful, not agencies that would charge any "up front" fees. Thank you

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm looking to collect a judgement in Southern California that is under $10,000. Please list any agencies you could recommend that take their fees only if collection is successful, not agencies that would charge any "up front" fees. Thank you
We do not give referrals. However, you can recover your own judgement just by doing a little homework. It is not that hard.

tranquility

For that small an amount you are unlikely to find a contingent collector. You might try selling the judgment. You will not get as much as it seems you are dreaming of.

trojanwarrior

For that small an amount you are unlikely to find a contingent collector. You might try selling the judgment. You will not get as much as it seems you are dreaming of.
I have found one, but was seeking recommendations since I have no way of knowing how they compare. Not sure how you could measure the amount I'm "dreaming of", based on my original post.

Proserpina

I have found one, but was seeking recommendations since I have no way of knowing how they compare. Not sure how you could measure the amount I'm "dreaming of", based on my original post.

..you mentioned an amount less than $10k.

It's not too difficult to deduce.

trojanwarrior

..you mentioned an amount less than $10k.

It's not too difficult to deduce.
There is nothing to deduce. The judgement was for an amount less than $10,000. That's a fact, and not open to any interpretation. The verb, "dreaming", implies I'm under some delusion or fantasy. I'm wondering what you read into my original post that would lead to that deduction?

Every Collection Agency willing to attempt to recover this judgement charges around 35% for their services, with no fees up front. The $10,000 amount is significant because it seems to be an advertised figure that separates agencies willing to pursue smaller cases vs. larger ones. My case obviously falls into the former, and I thought that information would be helpful for those who might have answers to my question. The answer, "We don't give referrals here", was clear enough.

If collection agencies are "worthless", I would be interested in reasons for that estimation. My time is valuable, and although I'm sure it's "not that hard" to attempt recovery on my own, I'd gladly pay a percentage to let a professional do the leg work.

Last edited:

tranquility

Those type of numbers indicate the collection agency is just going to call the person. They are not going to do collection activities in the legal sense. Liens of real property, garnishments of wages/payments, seizure of accounts, things like that.

trojanwarrior

Those type of numbers indicate the collection agency is just going to call the person. They are not going to do collection activities in the legal sense. Liens of real property, garnishments of wages/payments, seizure of accounts, things like that.
Perhaps I erroneously assumed they would be more motivated than that, seeing as how "They don't collect, unless I collect."

A particular person with the Small Claims Advisory has been very helpful thus far, and I guess I will start the recovery process myself by utilizing their suggestions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">