• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovering Rent/Bills from ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nabuca05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

A few months ago my son moved into an apartment with his then girlfriend. They had agreed at the time to split all costs and bills equally. They had the lease placed in both their names, and each of them had a couple utility accounts placed in their name. After a few weeks she began calling off work, and the missed time put her behind on pay. My son had to pay the majority of the bills for the apartment, utilities, groceries, and the car. The car is in my husbands name, but my son pays the bills for it in order to keep it with him, and she often used it to commute to work.

After a couple months, someone at the apartment complex began vandalizing their car, his work truck, and eventually destroying things at their apartment while they were away. Many police reports were filed, and eventually the property manager made a deal to transfer them to another building, rolling over their security deposit and pro-rating the first month rent.

A few weeks after moving into the new building, his girlfriend told him that she intended to move back to her parents house. The apartment complex also demanded he pay a new security deposit, and another months rent, disregarding the agreement to move them. At this point, they had an argument, and she packed all of her things and moved back to her parents.

When she left, she hadn't contributed any money to the expenses for several months. She had offered to pay the car insurance, but did so by bouncing a check to them, which now has to be paid back, in addition to abandoning the lease and past rent and deposit. My son is out of money, and has no choice but to move back home, as well, as he can't pay the new back rent they want, on top of the utilities and the other items she never contributed to.

She has been threatening that she was going to contact the rental property management to tell them "Her side of the story", because she doesn't want to have any responsibility for the bills that are due. Is there any chance that filing a claim against her in small claims will result in getting any of the money she owed back? My son has receipts, not for everything, but for close to $2500 in bills and rent that she agreed to pay but never did. Multiple people were present when she agreed to split bills, and has sent texts and e-mails agreeing to repay money for bills paid on her behalf. I am sure she has 3 or 4 receipts for few things she actually paid, but those were very few compared to what my son has provided.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

A few months ago my son moved into an apartment with his then girlfriend. They had agreed at the time to split all costs and bills equally. They had the lease placed in both their names, and each of them had a couple utility accounts placed in their name.

... the property manager made a deal to transfer them to another building, rolling over their security deposit and pro-rating the first month rent.

... She had offered to pay the car insurance, but did so by bouncing a check to them, which now has to be paid back, in addition to abandoning the lease and past rent and deposit. My son is out of money, and has no choice but to move back home, as well, as he can't pay the new back rent they want, on top of the utilities and the other items she never contributed to ...

... Is there any chance that filing a claim against her in small claims will result in getting any of the money she owed back? ...
It does not sound as if either your son or his girlfriend were mature enough to move out of their parents' homes. What a mess they have left behind.

Your son can attempt to sue his former girlfriend for the amounts he claims are owed. Here are links to Small Claims help:

http://www.palawhelp.org/resource/magisterial-district-courts-1?lang=EN
http://www.courts.phila.gov/municipal/civil/

Your son should know that both he and his former girlfriend are liable for the rent still owing on the rental unit, for the full term of the lease they signed. Since both names are on the lease, the landlord/property management can collect from either one or both. Any utility bills that have not yet been paid in full need to be paid, as will any other bills that are currently unpaid.

I wish your son good luck.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I'd also add that actually collecting a judgement in PA can be a royal pain in the derriere. Regular creditors cannot garnish wages, and while there are other options it honestly may not be worth the inevitable hassle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">