• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

red light camera ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tr156coiol

so i was driving my gf car and got a red light camera ticket but it was sent to her brother (the registered owner). he wanted my info to write on the back of the ticket but gf said she wasnt interested in giving out this info and he never went to his court date. now hes sueing me does he have a case?

Proserpina

so i was driving my gf car and got a red light camera ticket but it was sent to her brother (the registered owner). he wanted my info to write on the back of the ticket but gf said she wasnt interested in giving out this info and he never went to his court date. now hes sueing me does he have a case?
You could always pay the ticket (which you admit you're responsible for) and avoid the whole court issue.

Just an idea, y'know?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not sure of your state...

If the guy paid for a ticket that YOU were responsible for, yes he has an excellent case. Pay him now - perhaps you can avoid a judgment.

tr156coiol

he didnt pay anything he never went to court now he has a warrant out for his arrest. (this is in california) theres no law that says i have to give him my information and i was never charged for a thing i just didnt feel comfortable with giving him that personal info

sandyclaus

he didnt pay anything he never went to court now he has a warrant out for his arrest. (this is in california) theres no law that says i have to give him my information and i was never charged for a thing i just didnt feel comfortable with giving him that personal info
A few things:

1) Shame on g/f's brother. If he HAD gone to court, he could have contested the ticket and stopped the additional penalty, fines, and prevented the warrant for his arrest (for neither paying nor addressing the ticket at all). "Mitigation of damages" comes to mind.

2) No there's no law that says you have to give him your info. But SHAME ON YOU for trying to force liability for YOUR actions in his borrowed car back to the g/f's brother.

3) Of course you were never charged! Red light cameras do not match photos of the drivers with their licenses to determine who was driving. They may take a picture of the driver, but they can only identify the car by it's license plate.

You didn't feel "comfortable" with giving him your personal info??? Yet the g/f's brother did not get to choose whether or not HE was "comfortable" allowing you drive a car that was registered under his name.

Both you and your g/f are real winners (*NOT*) for shifting blame to someone else when it comes to handling your business. I hope the brother sues you BOTH and wins his judgment. Sounds like the 2 of you need a swift kick in the rear & a lesson in civic and financial responsibility.

And I sincerely hope he takes that car away so something like this NEVER happens again...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I hope the brother sues you BOTH and wins his judgment.
While I agree with the sentiment...he would only win a judgment for the original fine on the ticket. Sounds to me like all 3 of these folks are losers, on many different levels.

sandyclaus

Sad, but true...

While I agree with the sentiment...he would only win a judgment for the original fine on the ticket. Sounds to me like all 3 of these folks are losers, on many different levels.
True that.

The brother made his own mess by not showing up in court or paying the original ticket. That is his most costly mistake. Because of that, all those other fees, penalties, and fines are on him and cannot be recovered by suing OP.

Just goes to show that you can't just ignore such things, even if the brother wasn't at fault in the first place. A pity that he made that choice.

Why, there oughta be a law, gosh darn it!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">